Question

Windows wants to install 6 updates every time I log off or put the computer in sleep mode

Happygrammy asked on
I don't shut off or have power options on.  I wait for the updates to install.  It says they have installed and next time I boot up there they are.
4 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Amrita M replied on

Hi Happygrammy,

Welcome to Windows Vista Answers Forum!

This could be happening if the updates that you are trying to install are corrupted during the process. To stop this from happening all the time you may have to uninstall the updates and install them one at a time.

For that you will have to make a list of the updates that are causing the problem, then go to install update history and uninstall them manually. Later download those updates and install them in Clean Boot mode.

To help troubleshoot error messages and other issues, you can start Windows Vista by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This kind of startup is known as a "clean boot." A clean boot helps eliminate software conflicts.

Steps to put the system in Clean Boot are as follows:

1.       Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights

2.       Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue

3.       On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)

4.       On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all

Note: Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points

For further information on clean boot please follow the below given link:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:

1.         Click start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your            password, or click Continue.

2.       On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.

3.       When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart

You may also have to reset the Windows Update components, download the Microsoft fix-it from the link and run the wizard which automatically resets the windows update components, if this does not work, I recommend that you reset the windows update components manually from the link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

These steps should fix the issue, give it a try and check if you are able to perform windows updates.

Hope this information is helpful.

Amrita M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress