Windows Vista update; 80070002 error

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 64 bit OS running on a HP DV6 notebook with IE Version 7 64 bit.

Every time I start my laptop I get the message that I need to update but when I try, it always gives me this error.  "Windows could not search for update because of the error code".

I have tried and tried to get the updates to work going meticulously through the steps, turning off and deleting files but every time I try I keep getting the Windows update 80070002 error and when I recheck the files I just deleted, the files are back in the data store folder. How can I get these files to stay deleted so I can get the updates?

I have Googled for remedies but none has worked. This must be a common problem and I don't understand why MS can't fix it online.

Thanks, Olypentax

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 4,915 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I suspect that you're currently seeing the effects of a hijackware infection, in which case you definitely want to back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100% trustworthy at this point) then format the HDD & do a clean install of Windows 7.

HOW TO do a clean install of Win7: See "Using the Custom installation option and formatting the hard disk" section ofhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7

After the clean install, you will have the equivalent of a "new computer" so take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting the machine to the internet or a local network (i.e., other computers) and before connecting a flash drive, SDCard, or any other external drive to the computer:

4 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
     http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx 

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.