Windows Update fails to install with error code 8e5e03fb

15th July Windows Update suddenly stopped downloading and installing selected important files required to update Vista Home Premium SP1. The error code is consistently 8e5e03fb, not recognised by Microsoft even though I have seen posts on Forums dating from April 2009 mentioning that code. I have been working with Alan Leon, Support Engineer, but without success. Some updates do get through but none are relevant to the OS or Internet Explorer. So far none of the articles in the Knowledge Base have been helpful. One file, wucltui.dll, is missing from my system but Alan Leon did not confirm that it could be relevant. Alan has suggested that my problem could be connection related but his suggested changes to my settings did not bring the desired result. My ISP has a feature that allows me to see data flow both up and down. When data is being sent or received it can be seen quite clearly but when Windows Update is running there is no data flow showing.

Question Info

Last updated April 18, 2019 Views 26,243 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Kanizsa,

Let us know the steps which you have already performed, security software installed on the computer and the updates which are available for installation.

Follow the steps mentioned below:

I) Check if the services related to Windows update are set to automatic and started.

Click Start, type services.msc in the start search box, right click services.msc and then click run as administrator.

Check the below mentioned services:
a) Background Intelligent Transfer Service
b) Cryptographic service
c) Windows Update

II) Rename the Catroot2 folder

To rename the Catroot2 folder, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each line:

net stop cryptsvc 
ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2 
net start cryptsvc 
exit

3. Delete all tmp*.cat files from the following folder:

%systemroot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

If no files that start with tmp exist in this folder, do not remove any other files. The .cat files in this folder are necessary for installing hotfixes and service packs.

Important: Do not rename the Catroot folder. The Catroot2 folder is automatically recreated by Windows, but the Catroot folder is not recreated if the Catroot folder is renamed.

III) Reregister DLL files that are associated with Cryptographic Services

To register .dll files that are associated with Cryptographic Services, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.

2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and press ENTER after each command:

regsvr32 /u softpub.dll
regsvr32 /u wintrust.dll
regsvr32 /u initpki.dll
regsvr32 /u dssenh.dll
regsvr32 /u rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 /u gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u sccbase.dll
regsvr32 /u slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 /u mssip32.dll
regsvr32 /u cryptdlg.dll

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 mssip32.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
exit

Note: Click OK if you are prompted.

Restart the computer.

IV) Empty the software distribution folder
  1. Click Start, type services.msc in the Start Search box, right-click services.msc, and then click Run as administrator.
  2. In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Stop.
  3. Minimize the Services (local) window.
  4. Select all the contents of the Windows distribution folder, and then delete them.

Note By default, the Windows distribution folder is located in the drive:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. In this location, drive is a placeholder for the drive where Windows is installed.
  5. Make sure that the Windows distribution folder is empty, and then maximize the Services (local) window.
  6. In the Services (Local) pane, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Start.
  7. Restart the computer, and then run Windows Update again.

Referred article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/822798

V) Disable the security software

VI) Run SFC scan
Please follow the steps as below to the System File Checker as the first steps:

1. Click Start and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

3. At the command prompt, type Sfc /scannow, and then press ENTER.

Note: The scan may take some time, so be patient. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If information from the installation CD is needed to repair the problem, you may be prompted to insert your Windows Vista CD.

Thanks and Regards,
Gulrez

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

18 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.