Windows Update Error code 8007007E

I get a warning on my computer telling me Windows could not check for updates automatically. So I run windows update and it tells me that an error occured while checking for new updates for my computer. Then it says: code 8007007E windows has encountered and unknown error.  Apparently since I bought my computer in Feb. it has never been updated. I know this is a problem and I don't want my computer to be at risk. Please help. I've tried the trouble shooter and it gives no help. I've been going crazy trying to figure it out.  I'm not computer savvy enough so keep the answers simple please :)

Question Info

Last updated October 1, 2019 Views 20,004 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Right-click on My Computer & select Properties: What Windows version is displayed in the resulting General tab (e.g., Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2; Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

How do I reset Windows Update components?
[Ignore the APPLIES TO section; run the Fix It in Default and Aggressive modes]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.