Question

Windows update could not be installed because of error 2149842967 (KB958559-x86.msu)

VishalThakkar asked on
Hello
I am trying to install Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP mode on my toshiba laptop. The PC h/w compatibility tool says that my PC does support h/w assisted virtualization support (i.e. BIOS and processor support virtualization extentions).

I have installed the Windows XP Mode.

I am trying to install Windows Virtual PC on my Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 32bit RTM tablet and it fails with below:
Windows update could not be installed because of error 2149842967 "" (Command line: ""C:\WINDOWS\system32\wusa.exe" "C:\Users\vishalt\Downloads\Windows6.1-KB958559-x86.msu" ")

I tried many suggested options like 
a) reboots - didn't work
b) netstop wuauserv, bits, rename the softwaredistributionfolder, netstart these services (both) and try full windows update - windows update started but I still couldn't install the KB958559
c) try from cmdprompt in a UAC elevated cmd window.

I was wondering if there is something else that needs to be done to install this KB package.

Thanks in advance
-Vishal
73 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
PA Bear - MS MVP replied on

...The link to Windows Module Insaller and registry size limit couldn't be attempted as the links on those threads don't seem to work.

I know. You'll see I've asked a Moderator to post a valid link to that thread.

Have you seen http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/thread/61e16760-a500-481e-a90c-9b933f0fced8 ?

I'll keep you posted if I hear anything new.
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002
1 person found this helpful

Abuse history

progress