windows update 80246008 error code and windows security maintenance

I am unable to install updates from windows update  I get an 80246008 error code

I am also unable to activate windows security maintenance Please help !

Question Info

Last updated December 29, 2017 Views 1,450 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

@belldia444 only!...

Fact: McAfee and Norton applications are notorious for not uninstalling or upgrading cleanly. The "leftovers" may be your troublemaker here.

Roll up your sleeves & cross your fingers...

ACTIONS

[You will want to print these instructions for offline reference.   IMPORTANT => DON'T SKIP ANY STEP & perform all Steps in one, uninterrupted session!  If a Step says to reboot, reboot! ]

1a. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

1b. Right-click on the following link, select SAVE TARGET AS... & download the Norton Removal Tool, saving it to your desktop:  ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Uninstall McAfee Antivirus Plus via Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features.

4. IMPORTANT! => Make sure the Windows Firewall is enabled immediately after rebooting!  [Should happen automatically but I want you to double-check.]

NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g., browsing; reading email; chatting) until you've completed Step #7 below!

5a. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1a above and select Run as Administrator. to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

5b. Right-click on the file you saved in Step #1b above and select Run as Administrator. to run the utility. Don't TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot again.

6. Do a clean install of McAfee Antivirus Plus (using your Product ID, if need be) & reboot. If you purchased your software directly from McAfee, go to https://home.mcafee.com/Secure/Protected/Login.aspx to log in and download your software.

7. Manually and repeatedly update the McAfee application until you get a "no more updates" or similar prompt.

8. Download/run the appropriate scripts from the following Trusted Source (my colleague IE MVP Kai Schätzl): http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=artikel&cat=42&id=133&artlang=en

Note => The scripts are good for IE9, too,

Tip: The file named ie8-rereg.all.zip contains both of the scripts below (plus a third one that you will NOT use).

9a. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.32on64.cmd to run the script.

9b. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar) then double-click on the file named ie8-rereg.64on64.cmd to run that script then reboot.

10. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 [ignore any DOES NOT APPLY warnings as well as the APPLIES TO section] & run the Fix It.

Note=> For optimal results, check the Delete personal settings option.

11a. Open Internet Explorer (only!) to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910336 [ignore the title & Symptoms].

11b. IMPORTANT! => Dismiss/close the "Windows Update troubleshooter" pop-up! - then...

11c. Ignoring any "Not recommended" or similar warnings, run Fix It 50202 in DEFAULT and then AGGRESSIVE modes. [1]

12. Reboot one last time then test by running a manual check for updates & seeing if all security updates offered (e.g., KB2722913, KB2705219, KB2712808, KB2731847, KB2660649 & KB2656411) will successfully install now; follow all prompts.

13. Reply to this post with a status report.

Good luck!

===========================================================
[1] Full Disclosure: Running the Fix It in AGGRESSIVE mode will delete your Update History but not the list of Installed Updates.

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I tried the sfc scan but it didn't solve the problem. I ended up here after following various threads on "Windows updater error 80246008" - which my Windows 7 64b systems reports every time I try to use the Windows Updater. The root problem seems to be that the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) is not running or even present in the list of services in the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Administrative Tools\Services window.

The sfc scan reported "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

So what now - does anyone know how I can resurrect the Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) on my Windows 7 64b system?

Sorry this didn't help.

After following all steps up to 11c I get the following message popup when I run the Fix it 50202....

"Service 'BITS' (BITS) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services."

It gives the options "Try Again" and "Cancel". The same popup results whenever I "Try Again" so I am left with noption except to "Cancel" - which then causes the Fix it to roll back the action.

The same occurs when I run the Fix it 50202 with AGGRESSIVE selected. I am logged on as an admin level user, so I don't see what else I can do.

Frustrating but it seems that I am finally getting close to the actual problem.... that the BITS service is not running and not present in the list of system services.

Please advise.

Sorry this didn't help.

@HughRodrick & anyone else with a similar problem: To avoid confusion, duplication of effort & possible damage to your computer, please begin your own, new thread in the appropriate forum. State your current IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP2; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7 32-bit; Win7 32-bit SP1; Win7 64-bit; Win7 64-bit SP1) in your first post. Thank you.

See...

• HOW TO begin your own, new thread about your computer & your problem
       http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/Page/faq#faqGettingAnswers5

• Suggestions for asking a question in help forums
       http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

Appreciate the recommendation, but a fair question, if the problem is that there is no BITS service on the system service, how does one get it back, to reactivate.  All the resolution steps require BITS service, and if the verification came back with no issues or corrupted files, what’s the next step?  Many of us appear to be having the exact same problem.  I’m also Windows 7, Update was set to Automatic, last ran on July 11.  I’m 31 updates behind, my IE does an auto reboot & subsequently goes to blank page, especially on Microsoft support web page.  I’m had to use Chrom just to be able to read and follow the links.  Please provide direction on getting the BITS service back onto the list when SFC give no errors.  Thank you

Sorry this didn't help.

Please begin your own, new thread to avoid confusion. Thanks.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.