Windows update is set in my case to "check and notify", because I usually take a backup of the system disk before applying the updates.
However, windows defender updates arrive every several days, and I believe that they cannot break my computer.
I would have really liked Microsoft to separate the two updates: allowing windows defender to update automatically, while maintaining my preference of "check and notify" as regarding windows update in general.
Why does windows defender need to go thru windows update? Can't it do its own updates like any other anti-virus on the market?
This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
Thank you for posting your inquiry to the Microsoft Answers site.
Windows and programs that ship with Windows, such as Internet Explorer and Windows Defender may be updated automatically by turning on automatic updating. You can set Windows to automatically install important updates and recommended updates. Optional updates
are not downloaded or installed automatically. With the Windows Update settings set to Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them, you may set the Windows Defender settings to check for new definitions before a Windows Defender
To automatically check for new definitions before Windows Defender scheduled scans (recommended)
1. Click to open Windows Defender by going to Control Panel>Windows Defender
2. Click Tools, and then click Options.
3. Under Automatic scanning, make sure the Automatically scan my computer (recommended) check box is selected.
4. Select the Check for updated definitions before scanning check box, and then click Save. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
To check for new Windows Defender definitions manually:
1. Click to open Windows Defender.
2. Click the arrow next to the Help button, and then click Check for updates. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
For reference, you may also refer to the following links for more info. on Windows Defender and Windows Update settings.