Question

Q: Windows 7 Pro 64bit is extremely slow after latest updates

It was fine until last week and now it takes over 2 minutes to launch an application like Word 2007 or Adobe Reader. I am not sure what has changed since then (ofcourse, no hardware changes been made). Last thing I remember (untils slowbug hit the computer) is about 15+ MSOffice 2007 related security updates that were installed. Some times even the bootup is slow too. I disconnected internet connection to eliminate auto-download/updates that are not apperant to me.

[Updated on Oct 21, 2010]
My issue was resolved few weeks later when new updates became available. Very likely one of those updates had fix for slow performance. 

Answer

A:

Hello smirthipati, 

To optimize Windows performance, try using the Performance troubleshooter to automatically find and fix problems. The Performance troubleshooter checks issues that might slow down your computer's performance, such as how many users are currently logged on to the computer and whether multiple programs are running at the same time. 

1.       Open the Performance troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel.

2.       In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.

3.       Under System and Security, click Check for performance issues.  

Also try deleting temp files and prefetch files. 

To delete temp files, 

Click on start and in search bar type in as %temp% and hit enter. Delete all the files in that folder. 

Do the same with prefetch files. 

Also take a look at the following: 

Ways to improve your computer's performance

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Ways-to-improve-your-computers-performance 

Regards,

Savan – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 61,554 Last updated: July 19, 2018 Applies to: