Question

Windows 7 "Installing Update 2 of 2" for 12 hours now

2manydogs asked on
The automatic Windows 7 update downloaded two updates last night and they started installing when I logged off last night. Update #2 was still installing this morning. I tried powering off manually and when I powered back up, it gave me the Update #2 installing message again. Control+Alt+Delete does nothing. This machine is three weeks old. Never had any operating system except Win 7. Any suggestions?
57 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Meghmala replied on

Hi 2manydogs,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

I would suggest you to follow the below mentioned step by step procedure for resolution -

Step 1:
I would suggest you to start the computer in safe mode – In Safe mode; you have access to only basic files and drivers. Refer to the link to start the computer in safe mode –

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

Note: In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary. To return the system back to Normal Mode, we can simply restart the computer.

Step 2:
After coming in safe mode I would suggest you to perform a system restore to an earlier point when the update was not installed – The System Restore tool uses restore points to return system files and settings to an earlier point in time. You can use it to restore the operating system to a point in time in which you did not experience the issue.

Note: When you use System restore to restore the computer to a previous state, programs and updates that you installed are removed.

To do this, there must be a System Restore point at which the logon was successful. Follow the steps mentioned below to perform system restore –

To restore the operating system to an earlier point in time, follow these steps:

1.      Click StartCollapse this imageExpand this image, type system restore in the Start Search box, and then click System Restore in the Programs list.Collapse this imageExpand this image
If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

2.      In the System Restore dialog box, click Choose a different restore point, and then click next.

3.      In the list of restore points, click a restore point that was created before you began to experience the issue, and then click next.

4.      Click Finish.
The computer restarts, and the system files and settings are returned to the state that they were in at the time that the restore point was created. Restart the computer in normal mode.

Step 3:
After system restore Update Windows components -
Access the below link and use the Fix it tool mentioned in the article to automatically reset the Windows Update components:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Step 4: Download link for update -
Now you may visit the below mentioned website and download the updates and install on your computer (install 2 updates at a time as some updates require the system to get restart) -
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/default.aspx

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.
Thanks,
Meghmala –
Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

20 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress