Vista failing windows update - receiving error code 80240016

Hi -
I've been trying to install missing updates on my computer (including one listed as important) and I am receiving error code 80240016. There are a total of 6 available updates, and I've tried selecting to install them all at once and also to install just the one listed as important. Can someone advise how I can get this update?

thanks.
Answer
Answer

Hi GertieB:

I would recommend you do a “reboot” after installing the updates, then try the update again, as you said, try one at a time, BUT after the reboot of the ones that did install. Most of the time this salves the problem.

If not, and you reply, please put the Vista Version, and the IE version you are running, this was we can better make the searches for you.

I did insert some links that I thought might be helpful to you in your hunt.

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=80240016

Before trying to rename the folder - did you stop the WU service? How to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder in Vista - 1. Stop the Windows Update service (make sure you are ...

www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows...

1. Error message when you try to install updates from the Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site: "0x80240016": http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957307

www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?pg=2&p=1&tid=5cb5ad34-ea2c-...

I hope these will help, do let us know if we can help further.

Thank you for the post, if this answers you questions, please click Answered.

Don
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Don Maxwell

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 5,135 Applies to: