sqmapi.dll missing or corrupted following failed Win7 64bit update to SP1

Yesterday I attempted to update this computer to Win7 SP1.  When I logged in this morning, I had no icons present on my taskbar nor desktop.  The start menu was not working either.  I was able to successfully do a system restore to a date previous to the update.  

Now when I try to update via Windows update, it freezes at 99% of download.  So I downloaded the SP1 standalone update for 64-bit.  When installing (with Run as Administrator), I get an error stating that sqmapi.dll is missing or corrupted.  

Steps I've tried:

• I ran sfc /scannow (as Administrator) - all cleaned and repaired 
  • I ran the System Update Readiness Tool (Windows6.1-KB947821-v10-x64.msu) to completion.
  • I have restarted the computer multiple times - no problems with boot or login
At this point, the system is responding normally with no error messages.  But I would like to get SP1 installed on this computer.  I have another identical system here that successfully updated to SP1 last night.

Let me know if you want any further information.  Any help is appreciated!!

Orrin

Hi oferil,

I would suggest you to try the steps mentioned below and check if it helps.

Method 1:  Disable the security software temporarily.

Note:  Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you should not disable your antivirus software. If you do have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you are connected to the Internet or a network during the time your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Method 2:  Put the computer in  clean boot  before proceeding with the installation of SP1.

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow Step 7  in the provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 3:  Also, disconnect the external devices you might have attached to the system.

It’s possible the SP1 download might be corrupt; download another copy and try again.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda

For reference visit the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/learn-how-to-install-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2505743

Sandeep - Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Sandeep.  That got SP1 installed on this computer but now I am back to the original problem following SP1 installation.  I have no icons on my desktop only text where my icons should be.  The taskbar has no icons, but I can see where they should be when I hover over them.  If I click on the Start menu, nothing comes up.  It's like they are hidden.  

I tried to reset the Desktop icon cache as instructed here.  But it did not work.  Please Help!!

BTW, I am still running on the clean boot and have not restarted any of the third party applications or services.

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have SKYPE softwatare on your PC ? uninstall and reinstall SKYPE that should fix your desktop icon missing issue

Sorry this didn't help.

Skype has never been installed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Acer saved my tail!  I used Acer eRecovery which has two options for factory reset.  The first one wiped the hard drive and reset the entire disk to factory install.  The second (the one I went with) wiped only Windows and automatically backed up my user info for easier recovery.  I just finished installing (with trepidation) SP1 again.  This time I have icons!  So now to re-install all my programs.  At least now Windows is acting normally again!   I hope other people don't have to go through this for a Windows update.  Just thought I'd let people know that a Windows re-install is probably in their future if they experience this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 10, 2019 Views 19,209 Applies to: