"SETUP ERROR - Not enough storage is available to process this command."

I keep getting this error when I try to install anything. "SETUP ERROR - Not enough storage is available to process this command." My computer tells me that I have 95GB free on HD#1, 89GB free on HD #2, and 83GB free on HD #3. I have 2 GB of memory.

Can someone tell me what I must do.

Thank you,

Joe

Question Info

Last updated November 10, 2019 Views 22,001 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978735.aspx

Not enough storage is available to process this command.

User Action:

Do one of the following, then retry the command: (1) reduce the number of running programs; (2) remove unwanted files from the disk the paging file is on and restart the system; (3) check the paging file disk for an I/O error; or (4) install additional memory in your system.

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you TaurArian, I have tried most of the suggested ideas. My memory, at 2 GB, is fine and it appears that I am only using 828 MB most of the time. I did move my paging file to my D (2nd) drive and checked it for any IO errors. As far as I know, the task manager only shows that I am running IE and Outlook. There are about 52 processes running with a CPU Usage of about 9% and a Physical Memory of 41%. (that seems a little high) I hope that some of this information may be of some assistance in resolving my problem.

Joe

Sorry this didn't help.

It seems now that I can't install several programs. One being Java which I have never had a problem installing and another is the Windows Installer 4.?

I have a feeling that the key word in the error is "storage". I wish I knew what the error code is trying to tell me.

Any help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Sorry this didn't help.

Puzzling, what about putting your pagefile back to the original location. Perhaps that's not enough spalce on D drive.

What are the tasks that are running? http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
No warranties or guarantees.
MVP 1st July 2005- 30th June 2016
WIMVP 1st July 2016- 30th June 2017

Sorry this didn't help.

As I stated in my first notice, I have lots of space on my 3 hard drives. My memory usage is a little high, (in my book, about 50%) but still should be enough to install a program. The running Processes (all users) is 47 and the CPU Usage is about 19%. According to TUT, there is about 71 services running. I am still having more problems installing programs. I just tried to install Family Tree Maker 2010 and it kept failing.

Could there be a Windows Installer problem and if so is there a way that I can fix it?

Thanks for your assistance, Joe

Sorry this didn't help.

• Which version of the Windows operating system am I running?
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/which-version-of-the-windows-operating-system-am-i-running

• Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?
      http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/find-out-32-or-64-bit

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your current IE version (e.g., IE6, IE7, IE8) in your next reply.

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello PA Bear, Here is the information you requested.

Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit), Internet Explorer 8, version 8.0.766.16385.

Anti-virus program: Avast Free Anti-Virus with ZoneAlarm version:9.1.007.002 firewall.

Both Norton and McAfee have been on this computer but when I installed Windows 7 I removed them using the program designed for it and from information that you provided on another problem I was having. I only noticed the problem when I tried to update Windows Installer.

Thank you, Joe

Sorry this didn't help.

Joe, how does your problem pertain to Windows Update functionality? Are you getting these "Not enough storage is available to process this command" errors when attempting to install updates or...?

Assuming we're dealing with the same HP computer as in your March 2010 thread where you ended up having to format the HDD & do a clean install...

1. Since the clean install in March, have you installed either of the Comcast freebies (i.e., Norton Security Suite and/or McAfee Security Center)?

2. Is Uniblue PowerSuite or any other "Registry cleaner" installed & used?

3. Does the behavior persist if you (a) uninstall (not just disable) ZoneAlarm, (b) reboot & make certain the Windows Firewall is enabled, (c) reset Windows Update components perhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058, [1] and (d) reboot again?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1] Ignore the APPLIES TO section; Access KB971058 via IE8 (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in DEFAULT and AGGRESSIVE modes.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.

PA Bear, I have not had too much problems installing Windows Update (any more then everyone has :) ), Several programs I have been trying to install are Java, Family Tree Maker 2010, and Quicken Home & Business 2007. I just don't know what is happening. Yes, I am still using my HP Laptop.

1. I have not installed Norton or McAfee.

2. I do have Uniblue PowerSuite installed as well as others (Windows install clean up, Registry first aid, CCleaner, Registry Mechanic and The Ultimate Troubleshooter.

3. I have not tried to un-install ZoneAlarm and Windows Firewall is disabled

Joe

Sorry this didn't help.

...I do have Uniblue PowerSuite installed as well as others (Windows install clean up, Registry first aid, CCleaner, Registry Mechanic and The Ultimate Troubleshooter.

Your continuing, injudicious use of those applications may have caused your current problems. Try "undoing" all of the changes made by any/all of those applications then reboot & test.

As posted in your earlier thread:

If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, fixed, or optimized (it doesn't), readhttp://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

That being said, this is a Windows Update-specific forum. You should be posting in this forum for assistance instead:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/threads 

Good luck!

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sorry this didn't help.