Monitor "Out Of Range" Issue.

After doing a clean install of Windows 7 on my computer, several "Drivers" were not installed for my integrated motherboard including Network, Printers and Scanners etc. 

Device Manager showed several issues, so I inserted the "Motherboard" CD Disk in and installed the drivers that were for that specific motherboard (My Mistake).

Network started to work and I was able to access the internet (one step forward before my two steps backwards here).  The motherboard installed something which caused the display to default to 600x800 or some low resolution. 

I then went into the display properties and slid the slider to max and hit apply.  Suddenly the monitor displayed a blue box stating "Out Of Range".

I tried booting into Safe Mode, but once it made it through the boot process, the same Out of Range display message popped up.

I can't do anything to access the display properties as the only thing I can see is the warning message.  I am thinking that the only thing I can do is remove the graphics card and replace it with another hoping that the system will recognize it and change the settings. 

Other than that for a solution, is there another one?  With all the advancements in Windows, one would think that there would be an easier answer.  Please help.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 1,502 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi Brent Ambrose,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Forums.

This occurs if the driver for the display adapter doesn’t support the configuration you have selected i.e. 600 X 800 is supported but something greater than this resolution is not supported by the driver installed on your computer. You can select “Last known good configuration” and then you will be able to boot to your desktop. Once you boot into the desktop install the latest drivers and then change the settings i.e. screen resolution. Follow the steps mentioned below.

Step 1:

To boot into “Last know good Configuration”

1.      Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. Select “Last known good configuration” from the menu and press enter.

2.      If your computer has more than one operating system installed, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system that you want to start by using Last Known Good Configuration, and then press Enter. Windows will then resume starting normally.

For further reference follow the article mentioned below.

Using Last Known Good Configuration

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Using-Last-Known-Good-Configuration

Step 2:

Once you boot to the system, logon to the manufacturers website and download the latest drivers for your graphic card. To know the Manufacturer follow the steps mentioned below.

Checking the Video Card and Driver Version

• Right click on My Computer.
  • Select Properties.
  • Select the Hardware tab.
  • Click Device Manager.
  • Expand Display Adapter by clicking on it.
  • Listed here you will see the brand and model of Video Card that you are using.
  • Double click the listing and click the Driver tab.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you and Regards.           

Thahaseena M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer.
Visit our
Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.