I get the error code 0x80246002 when trying to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 on my machine.

I recently did a complete reformat of the hard drive due to other errors.  I also am having errors like file is corrupt after trying to install other files from other websites other than microsoft.  Any ideas?

Question Info

Last updated August 7, 2018 Views 1,096 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Is Vista SP2 being offered via Windows Update?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?  What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running in the background when you attmpeted to install SP2?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it and which would have been reinstalled, but invalid, when you reinstalled Windows)?

The above notwithstanding...

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support, originally scheduled to end 26 November 2009, has been extended until 26 February 2010. Availability of chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Some issues may require more advanced support for which there is a charge.  Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=13014&gprid=582034 & select appropriate category (i.e., Download issue; Installation issue; Issues after you install a service pack).

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.