Fixed Error Code 80070424 / Now error code 80070005 is the trouble

I posted this problem on Vista Forums. I am posting it here to see if anybody here has any insight!
---

I fixed the missing Windows Modules Installer according to Flavius's instructions ( http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/218999-windows-modules-installer-missing.html ). Worked great with re-installing 'TrustedInstaller.exe' and everything is back to normal in the 'Services.msc' directory again.

However, now I am stuck with a '80070005' error code when trying to run Windows Updater.

I have already used Microsoft's 'Fix It' to reset Windows Update Components and to reset Security Settings to default settings. I have tried installing the 'subinacl.msi' and creating/running the 'reset.bat' file (apparantly this doesn't work on 64-bit systems). I even tried installing 'accesschk.exe' but the command promt appears then disappears in a milla-second.

I also tried running 'sfc /scannow' and continue to get the 'Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service' error. I cannot do a Repair Install because I am using Vista Home Prem 64-bit SP2 and I do not have any Windows Install Disk.

Anybody got any suggestions?
Answer
Answer
I had the same error code 80070005. In services.msc, TrustedInstaller description indicated "Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 2". I tried almost all the suggestions posted in on-line forums but none worked. I even thought about in-place upgrade. However, I found it was the ownership and permission setting of TrustedInstaller.exe.

1) Right click C:\WINDOWS\servicing\TrustedInstaller.exe
2) Select Property and Security tab
3) Add ownership : "Administrator" and "SYSTEM"
4) Make sure 'read & execute' and 'read' permissions are checked in each owner.

That's it. Hope it helps solve the problems of some face.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 9, 2019 Views 14,178 Applies to: