Fatal Error C000009A applying update operation [number] of [number]

Upon restarting my computer after updating, it continues updating during boot. It works fine until it reaches the registry updates. It then throws up Error C000009A. After a few minutes, it changes to Fatal Error C000009A and hangs. I have tried system restore, but for some reason, my restore points are missing. Startup repair found no problems. 

I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 with 8 GB of RAM.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

which update(s) are you trying to install? (KB Number)

what browser (exact version) you are using.

what anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current?

what third-party firewall

what antimalware software you may have installed.

Open the Windows Update troubleshooter

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter>

Troubleshooting in Windows. <http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Troubleshooting-in-Windows>

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Update is KB976932 (Not the RC or Beta)

I use IE 9, Chrome 10.0.648.6, and Firefox 4.0b9.

I use Comodo Antivirus

My router has a built in firewall, so there isn't one installed on the PC.

I have Spybot Search & Destroy installed, but I hardly ever use it. I also have WonderShare TimeFreeze installed.

There is no way for me to access those links from the affected computer, because the error occurs during boot. (In other words, it never gets that far).

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows SP1 has not been released yet so the question is ... how is it only being offered to your system ?
IE9 is beta, too, which must be uninstalled prior to the subsequent application of SP1 .

Please post the entry from the WindowsUpdate.log that shows KB976932 being downloaded and installed from Windows Update.
Such an entry would be toward the bottom of the log, where the most recent entries are added to said log -
How to read the Windowsupdate.log file

MowGreen
Windows Expert IT Pro - Consumer Security

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
Never Forgotten

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not seeing it in there. I've uploaded it so you can take a look, too.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/6/17/2890088/WindowsUpdate.log

Sorry this didn't help.

Going by the WindowsUpdate.log, System Restore had an issue in November creating a restore point but, there are no subsquent entries that reflect that 

2010-11-10 17:19:00:373 1032 1494 Agent WARNING:Failed SRSetRestorePoint call with win32 error -2130706175

The log also shows that the OS is not passing the WGA check throughout the entire log

2011-01-24 15:23:18:702 1036 100 Agent system considered non-Genuine because SLIsGenuineLocal() failed, hr = 0xed4f15a0

That issue may be occurring due to SlimDrivers.exe attemtping to update via the WU API

2011-01-16 13:18:49:181 7340 148 Misc   = Process: C:\Program Files (x86)\SlimDrivers\SlimDrivers.exe
2011-01-16 13:18:49:182 7340 148 Misc   = Module: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wuapi.dll
2011-01-16 13:18:49:181 7340 148 COMAPI -------------
2011-01-16 13:18:49:182 7340 148 COMAPI -- START --  COMAPI: Search [ClientId = <NULL>]
2011-01-16 13:18:49:182 7340 148 COMAPI ---------
2011-01-16 13:18:49:294 1040 15d4 Agent system considered non-Genuine because SLIsGenuineLocal() failed, hr = 0xf03715a0

The Version of the Windows Update Agent installed is one Version behind the current release; this appears to occur rather frequently with x64 systems although I do not think it's significant

2010-11-12 08:19:30:432 11792 2898 Misc ===========  Logging initialized (build:7.3.7600.16385)

Windows Update appears to be set to ' Never check for updates ', according to this entry

2011-01-07 15:17:00:164 1040 a10 AU   # AU disabled through User preference
2011-01-07 15:17:00:165 1040 a10 AU   # Will display featured software notifications (User preference)

And, here's where the "FATAL" error apparently occurred, although it's not technically FATAL, a notification could not be presented. That coincides with the above WU setting that attempts to display software feature notifications but can not since the AU client ( actually WU's setting in this instance ) is disabled through User preference

2011-01-21 17:42:34:398 1044 844 Report REPORT EVENT: {1CDDADE0-D255-4C8D-A890-ED677202F171} 2011-01-21 17:42:29:399-0600 1 183 101 {A35DD36A-8534-4E45-9CA4-0801F196D55B} 101 0 AutomaticUpdates Success Content Install Installation Successful: Windows successfully installed the following update: Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB982726), 64-Bit Edition
2011-01-21 17:42:34:398 1044 844 Report CWERReporter finishing event handling. (00000000)
2011-01-21 17:43:00:027 4660 2a38 AUClnt WARNING: Shell_NotifyIcon failed (dwMessage=0x1, uFlags=0x4, hr=0x800705B4)

0x800705B4 Error_Timeout A ... time out occured with DCOM when connecting to it
0x80080005 CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE is usually related to a Winsock issue.

In summation, there appears to be some strange software interaction taking place. I'm not sure if it's being caused by Commodo, the realtime protections being enabled in Spybot (TeaTimer and Immunize), SlimDriver.exe's use of the WU API,Zuse.exe being used to update the Zune, which also uses the WU API, the system's failure to pass the Genuine check, or the components of the router's firewall.
If the router is a Linksys, it may use Trend's Web Protection that filters URLs or checks Web Reputation.

What I'd suggest is that the next time the system is going to to be updated, that you configure it to Clean boot so as to rule out all 3rd party software processes.
If the same entries appear in the WindowsUpdate.log, then it's likely that the firewall is causing the timeout issues.

As for the non-Genuine issue ... I'm not sure it's in play here but you could post to theWindows 7 Genuine Advantage Validation Issues forum and hope that someone can figure out what's going on. I did a search of that forum and found no posts with the return code 0xf03715a0 .

MowGreen

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
Never Forgotten

Sorry this didn't help.

I do have AU disabled. It tends to generate tooltips when I'm using a full screen program, such as a game. As for the WGA, I've never had any problems with activation, and my system has always passed the genuine checks. This is the first I've seen of any of this happening. As for the Shell_NotifyIcon "problem", explorer.exe was not running at the time. I kill the process whenever I play StarCraft.

Anyway, the error I created this thread for happens during boot before the welcome screen , and there is no way to get past it to boot the system, therefore Comodo, Zuse, Slimdrivers, Spybot, &c. are not running at the time. This is the part of the update process that occurs in the same place that scheduled disk checks occur. It probably wouldn't show up in the log.

I think that the reason that KB976932 is not showing up is because I ran the standalone installer .exe.

Sorry this didn't help.

Instead of disabling the WU setting,, why don't you just hide the icon and that will stop notifications ?
Right click the Taskbar, choose Properties.
Under Notification area, click the Customize button. Set the Windows Update icon to 'Hide icon and notifications'.

The "Shell_NotifyIcon problem" is being caused by you killing explorer.exe. Since the explorer.exe process isn't running the system can not alert you that updates are available or that updates were installed, etc.

Since the issue you describe occurs during the boot sequence, then my initial suspicion remains ... there's a weird interaction of software taking place caused by the software thatyou want to use.
All the issues you are seeing are User Caused.
Since you claim the system already has Windows Service Pack 1 RTM installed, then I'm through with this thread as there is no Service Pack 1RTM legally available as of today.

MowGreen

*-343-* FDNY
NEVER FORGOTTEN

MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
Never Forgotten

Sorry this didn't help.

Horse hockey!

You will find support for Win7 Service Pack 1 Release Candidate in this forum only:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproSP/threads

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Since you claim the system already has Windows Service Pack 1 RTM installed, then I'm through with this thread as there is no Service Pack 1RTMlegally available as of today.

No, this is the update that is having the problem. The error is occurring during the boot-time part of the update. As for the availability, I was not aware of this. I got the installer on a CD from a friend who said that itwas available because I didn't want to have to download a huge file while my internet connection is being as sketchy as it is.

Horse hockey!

You will find support for Win7 Service Pack 1 Release Candidatein this forum only:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproSP/threads

Again, this isn't the RC. I will try posting there, however.

Sorry this didn't help.

[1] Again, this isn't the RC.

[2] I got the installer on a CD from a friend...

A1. Prove it.

A2. Good luck with that!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 11, 2020 Views 5,288 Applies to: