Error: "Windows Media Centre has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution." when tried to open it after installing the update KB983590

Original title: WMC stopped working after 10th August updates

Windows Media Centre stopped working after my Windows 7 Professional pc installed all the 11 updates I was given on 11th August 2010. I used system restore to the day prior to the updates and installed them individually. The first 9 caused no problems with WMC. But the KB982664 IE8 compatability view list for Windows 7 caused my action centre to report that I needed to check for solutions to unreported problems. WMC would still start though. But after installing KB983590 .NET framework 3.5.1 for Windows 7 x86, WMC stopped working.

After uninstalling the above 2 updates WMC still would not start.

After using system restore again back to prior to the updates, I installed the other 9 updates with, up till now, no problems with WMC.

Clean install Windows 7 Pro.

MSE v.1.0.1963.0 fully updated. [did not install latest beta version because of this problem]

Old Mig15 pilot. Now using Windows 7 Professional and Project Professional 2010 Beta.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 4,516 Applies to:
Answer

Hi Davy-D,

Step 1: Perform in-place upgrade
a. Close all the applications, insert the Windows DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
b. On the Setup window, click Install Now.
c. Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).
d. Type the CD key if you are prompted to do this.
e. Click Yes to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
f. On the Which kind of installation do you want? screen, click Upgrade.
g. When the installation is complete, restart your computer and check the difference.

See Method 2 in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044/en-us

Very Important: Performing a repair installation will not damage files and applications that are currently installed on your computer. However we recommend you to backup the data, as executing the steps incorrectly may delete data.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think. 

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.