Could not create the work file. Check the temp environment

After I crashed doing my Vista SP2 update, the only thing i could do was reformat the HD. After reloading everything including Office 2007, Outlook and Work worked fine. I again went thru the updates, Vista and Office SP 2 and now in Outlook and Word i get this error message Outlook (Word) could not create the work file. Check the temp environment

variable. I am alos having other problems in Word. Help, I can not find any answers!!!!!

Answer
Answer

Follow the steps given below at our own risk.  Set a restore point before you do this. Making a mistake in the registry can have bad results

In your registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Cache  the data value for Cache should be  %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files

Close all open programs. Then in the registry editor, once you get to the folder listed above, right click on "Cache", left click on "Modify", paste in "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" (without the quotes), left click "Ok" close the registry editor. Restart the PC.

This should resolve your issue.

From -  http://blogs.msdn.com/powlo/archive/2007/01/01/fix-for-error-outlook-could-not-create-the-work-file.aspx

a. Start->Run-> enter "regedit" and hit 'enter' to run the program to edit Registry variables.

b. Go to folder -> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Cache"

c. Check the variable values [for everything in the "User Shell Folders" folder]- All the variable should have values starting "%USERPROFILE%\". Any variable which is not having this starting point is probably corrupted. In my case, all the corrupted variables had a corresponding "Backup_VariableName". Example: my "cache" variable had a corrupt value while there was a variable called "backup_cache" with correct values

d. Change the value of all the corrupted variables to correct values. Example change value of "cache" variable to "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" and so forth.

e. Close all the Ms Office Programs and re-start. The problem should be fixed now.

I added the text in [ ] above.

Microsoft Partner - "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

20 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated July 21, 2020 Views 109,690 Applies to: