Question

Cannot load Windows 7 after installing 2 critical updates (KB2436673 & KB2296199) - Error Code 0x800f0816

Jishin088573 asked on

At 3am today, my computer automatically updated with 8 critical updates.  The computer sat unused, power on, until 3pm when I got home, at which time windows was trying to "repair" because windows could not be loaded.  I did a system restore to a point before the updates were installed (2am).  Upon reviewing my event viewer and finding that none of the updates were successfully installed, I took note of the errors for each (most were 0x800f0816, though one was 0x80242016) and went through each update individually and installed them.  Two of these updates will not install.  After the required system restart upon installation, windows tries to load.  The system automatically restarts and windows repair begins.  Windows repair says that the system cannot be repaired automatically.  I chose a restore point from before the "bad" updates are installed, and everything is fine. 

I get the same error for both KB2436673 & KB2296199 failed installs: 0x800f0816. 

Is there any way to fix this?  Or shall I just not install these updates?  This is a newly built computer (last week), all new hardware, new OS, bare-bones kit.  I have very little installed on this system.  I have not found any information regarding this error code or these latest MS updates online, nor if anyone else is having similar issues. 

Any responses would be appreciated.  Thank You!

J.

9 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
PA Bear - MS MVP replied on

Of course, if you cannot start the computer, uninstalling updates would be moot & system restore (or "last known good") would be your only recourse.

Again, see http://www.microsoft.com/security/pypc.aspx

You're welcome & thanks for your feedback. Happy Chrismakwannukah!

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002
Be the first person to mark this helpful

Abuse history

progress