A windows update problem? ::{26ee0668-a00a-44d7-9371-beb064c98683}\5\::{36eef7db-88ad-4e81-ad49-0e313f0c35f8}, no such interface supported

I thought at first that I had a virus that crashed my laptop while I was updating online.  That was 3 months ago.  I was finially able to do a system restore which brought the system back to factory specs.  Why it wouldn't let me do a restore before now is beyond me.  While I tried to recover whatever I could, I disconnected it from my internet, to prevent anything else from getting to it.  After it tried to reboot several times, a window finially showed up that had my options for recovery.  I tried them all to no avail.  At tteh most my laptop would do a system scan, then reboot, and either go to that same screen or just go blank and periodically reboot itself and do it all over again.  After two days of that, I did a hard shut down and left it off for about a month.  Last week, I restarted the laptop to try some recovery programs my dad lent me.  Just for the sake of trying everything I could, I ran the system restore programs again.  This time, after running the system restore, WinRE32 I think it was, my system started up like I had just installed vista.  I updated whatever it said I needed to on windows update and reinstalled the few programs I had and updated my antivirus.  I spent a day running system scans and virus scans and came up empty.  Four days later, while online, I noticed new updates were available.  I ran windows update and let it find what I needed.  After downloading them I noticed my system bogged down, and the website I was looking at stopped responding.  I quickly ran a virus scan and only came up with cookies.  I then tried to access some other programs, like the control panel and updater.  When I try to open item on my task bar I get this :  ::{26ee0668-a00a-44d7-9371-beb064c98683}\5\::{36eef7db-88ad-4e81-ad49-0e313f0c35f8}, No such interface supported.  I did a search for this code and the only thing I found out is that it might be related to windows update.  I'm not shutting down the system until I know what is causing this.  Any help would be appriciated.  And sorry that this was long winded, but I figure this is all the info I could come up with.  Thank you for your time.

Question Info

Last updated November 5, 2019 Views 23,580 Applies to:

Hi cjbecki,

Thank you for choosing Microsoft Answers Forum.

Try to check if the issue persists in safe mode with networking.

Follow the steps below to get into safe mode with networking.

1) Restart the Computer and start tapping the function key - F8 on the keyboard to access the advanced boot options.

2) Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, select "Safe mode with networking” option and hit Enter.

3) You will see a bunch of files loading.

4) After some time, you will get the login screen in order to login to the desktop and from here; everything is almost the same as we do in the Normal mode.

If the issue doesn’t persists, then try the steps given below:

Looks like you have some 3rd party software that’s interfering with the importing functions of Vista.

Let's try clean booting the system to remove 3rd party software and see if that clears up the problem.

Follow the steps below to place your computer in “clean boot”

· Click the Start orb on your Desktop

· Type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

· On the General tab, click Selective Startup.

· Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.

· Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.

· Click OK.

When you are prompted, click Restart.

If this does resolve the issue, then see the following Microsoft Article on “Clean boot” and the section “How to determine what is causing the problem” to determine which program or service maybe causing the issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

How to set your computer back, to boot normal:

· Click the Start orb on your Desktop

· In the Start Search box. Type msconfig and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

Click the General tab.

· Click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

· When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

If the above steps did not help you, try the steps given below:

SFC scan will let us know if you have any corruptions in the system files.

Open an elevated command prompt.

To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

I hope this helps you, Good luck.

Manasa P-Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

It looks like this was put into the Windows 7 area.  It is a Windows Vista problem.  I have tried all four safe mode starting options and it never finishes the start-up loading.  It stops at the avg sys file.  I cannot even get into the option to reset factory defaults.  I recovered once, but the auto updater ignored my settings to not automatically download and it loaded the same update as before.  Now I cannot even get to the screen that lets me do a system factory restore.  Thank you for your help, but it was nothing that I didn't know before.  and if windows doesn't start, I can't select any orb or msconfig.  I need a work-around for the safe mode not working properly.  Maybe microsoft should send me a vista recovery/boot disk, since they didn't feel like supplying any disks for support when I bought the laptop.  This is becoming more agrovating than any other Microsoft problem I've had in the past! 

Sorry this didn't help.

Please lets us know what resolved this issue? :)

Sorry this didn't help.

I am getting the following message when selecting Control Panel from the start menu:

::{26EE)668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C9868}\0

No such interface supported

I also get 'Explorer.exe  no such interface supported' when tryint to open folders on my desktop.

I ran SCF scan and it didn't detect anything. I also logged into Safe mode with networking and have the issue.

Also, in the past few days I've experience something else odd. My screen will turn all white, or all black, or vertical striped linesappear  across the entire screen. If any of these 3 happen I have to hold down my power button to turn off and restart my computer.

I recently tried to install IE9 but it wouldn't install so I'm on IE8. And I installed Drop Box. I'm not sure if those have anything to do with these issues. I also reverted my system back 2 weeks and still have both issues.

I have Window 7 x64 bit. Service Pack 1 is installed.

HELP!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

I too, have got the error "Windows cannot find {26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}\5\::{36EEF7DB-88AD-4E81-AD49-OE313F0C35F8}\pageSettings'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

I cannot turn automatic updates on, on my Windows 7 computer. 

The advice I have received so far from 2 IT employees is to restore to Factory Settings after you have saved your files.

I have nearly reached the point that that may be my only choice.  

Even with McAfee on the computer. It would appear that something got on the computer and did some tinkering..

Any ideas you may have would be appreciated.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi E.P. Clark,

At what point exactly do you get the error message?

When was the last time you were able to update your computer successfully?

What has changed since then?

Also, are you on a Domain?

Please let us know.

Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

As you are posting to a 2009 Thread, would suggest you open your own new thread and provide as much info as you can regarding the issue you are seeing. Thanks.
Lenovo ThinkCentre A55-8705/Windows XP Home Edition SP3/.NET3.5SP1/IE8/MSEv4.4.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.