uninstall norton security scan. my windows uninstall program does not work? troubleshoot

my fingers are sore from typing the same thing over and over.every time i see norton prodfucts on my pc i dont know how it got there but i know one thing is that my pc is freezing and crashing with any of norton products on my pc. and i cannot get any results to remove the norton programs for good. the norton programs keep coming back. i do not understand? my pc is freezing up and crashing with norton on it. i have security essentials and that is fine.can anybody give me some support on this issue.im not young any more. i just retired and my health is failing. this is just too much for me.

Question Info

Last updated October 20, 2018 Views 25,556 Applies to:
Answer

Norton Uninstall Tool:

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to uninstall your Norton product

http://www.symantec.com/symnrt

You may want to follow up with this.

How to display hidden device drivers.

Before you do the following procedure, check the Services to make sure no old deleted services are still active. Many software utilities do a very bad job of uninstalling.

In order to show hidden devices:

1. Right click My Computer and Select Properties
  2. Click Advanced tab
  3. Click Environment Variables
  4. Below the bottom Environment Variables window pane (System Variables), click New
  5. For Variable Name, enter devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices
  6. For Variable Value enter 1
  7. Click OK. OK to close My Computer
  8. Open Device Manager, click on View, select show hidden devices from the menu. Most of the orphans will be in non-plug and play drivers and the icons will appear grayed out. You can right click the grayed out driver and click uninstall.

Some drivers that are NOT grayed out are not needed as well, for example, AVG, Symantec and others. These should be uninstalled.

If you do not know what the driver is, Bing it prior to deletion so you understand what you are deleting

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Assuming Win7 64-bit with Service Pack 1 (SP1) installed...

Please answer each of the following [admittedly tedious] diagnostic questions in a correspondingly-numbered list in your very next reply (no need to quote this post):

1a. When (approx. date) did you purchase the computer?

1b. Did Win7 come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it, did you do a clean install of Win7, or did you upgrade from Vista to Win7?

2a. Was Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) offered & installed via Windows Update or did you intentionally choose to install it?

2b. In Windows Explorer [WinKey+E], navigate to & right-click on

• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client <=this folder

Select Properties: What is the Created date displayed on the resulting General tab?

2c. What MSE version is currently installed?  To find out, open MSE & click on the downward-pointing arrow to the right of HELP then select ABOUT SECURITY ESSENTIALS.

3. What anti-virus application was installed before you installed MSE, was your subscription still current, and did you uninstall it before you installed MSE?

4a. Has a(nother) Norton application [other than Norton Security Scan!or a McAfee application EVER been installed on the computer?

4b. Did a Norton free-trial (e.g., Norton AntiVirus; Norton 360; Norton Security Suite but NOT Norton Security Scan) or a McAfee free-trial [PICK ONE] come preinstalled on the computer when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated it.)

5. Are ALL of the following updates listed in View installed updates (not Update History)? [1]

(a) KB2604115, KB2658846, KB2660649, KB2676562, KB2688338, KB2690533, KB2695962, KB2656411 & KB2718704;

(b) KB2675157, KB2653956 & KB2656373;

(c) KB2621440 & KB2667402;

(d) KB2654428, KB2645640; KB2644615 & KB2556532;

(e) KB2544521 or Windows Internet Explorer 9 [<=TELL ME WHICH ONE]

6. Is Firefox, Chrome or any other alternate browser installed?

7. Is Java version 1.6.0_31 (or higher) currently installed?  TEST HERE USING IE (ONLY!) => http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

8. Are you in the habit of using "Registry cleaners" (e.g., Registry Mechanic; System Mechanic; RegCure; RegClean Pro; Advanced SystemCare; Registry Booster; McAfee QuickClean; AVG PC TuneUp; Norton Registry Cleaner; PCTools Optimiser; SpeedUpMyPC; Advanced System Optimizer; TuneUp Utilities; WinMaximizer; WinSweeper; CCleaner)?

==============================================
[1] Start | Control Panel | Programs and Features | View installed updates (in left-hand menu)

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.