Amazon assistant keeps opening new windows after "Windows 10" at start-up

I have serious problems with the Amazon assistant (product version 10.17.0228, size: 4.82 MB). Amazon Assistant is said to be a free suite of software applications available for select browsers and … but I do not want this on my PC.

When I started up my laptop (running windows 10 and Office 365 Home 5 users) after a recent software update I realised a new program had been "installed" on my pc called "Amazon Assistant" without me knowing it. I unpinned it from my task bar but this does not stop it. Problem: Each time I start up my laptop PC Amazon assistant opens all by itself new windows (one after the other filling the whole screen) indicating “C:\Program Files(x86)\Amazon\Amazon Assissitant\aa.hta. Apparetly the Amazon Assistant also sits in my browsers.

I have no more internet access on my laptop PC either, but my Outlook works. My AVAST-virusscanner says there is no virus on my laptop PC.

How do I remove Amazon Assistant? I have tried uninstalling Amazon Assistant from the Programs and Features tab in the Control Panel, however this only gives me the “Change option” and no “Remove” option. I attempted to run Amazon Assistant, which actually loads an install wizard to install the program itself, which I stopped because I do not want to have Amazon Assistant installed.

On the internet I have seen on the JAVA website that the Amazon features are integrated with the Java download (when automatic updates are on). I have also found on the internet that Amazon Assistant arrives on Windows 10 as the latest Edge extension! So once again computer users get into serious problems because of the automatic downloads imposed by Windows 10.

Any help about this would be appreciated.

Message sent from my desktop PC.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated May 30, 2019 Views 27,884 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Amazon Assistant Removal

I followed the following two notes copied from above and it removed it from my Computer. The Modify and Uninstall Buttons were greyed out and unable to be used. So I went into safe mode as below and then had to remove the folder while in safe mode.

We suggest that you boot your device in Safe Mode and attempt to uninstall it from there. Safe Mode starts Windows in a basic state, using a limited set of files and drivers.

Here's how to start your device in Safe Mode from Settings:

1. Press the Windows key + I to open Settings.
  2. Select Update & security > Recovery.
  3. Under Advanced startup, select Restart now.
  4. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart.
  5. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode.

I was able to delete the Amazon Assistant files/folder from program files while in safe mode.  Restarted and it seems to have fixed it

217 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.