Winlogon notification subscriber delay followed by 0x800705b4 after MS Office 2010 installation

My Windows 7 Professional x64 PC now takes a long time to start. I see a "Configuring Updates" screen that stays at 0%, followed by "Failed to Configure".

The logs show a 300 second delay as follows:

- The winlogon notification subscriber <TrustedInstaller> took 300 second(s) to handle the notification event (CreateSession).

Then my pending updates show as follows:

- Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x800705b4: Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2447568).

Same for updates KB2284742, KB2388210, andKB2249857

This started to happen when I installed Microsoft Office 2010 (HUP download).

Suggestions?

Answer
Answer

0x800705b4 Error_Timeout

From: You may encounter temporary connection-related errors when you use Windows Update or Microsoft Update to install updates

First see if there is a proxy server being used by the installed security software by following the steps for Windows 7 under
Advanced Method B: Remove the proxy server entry from the WinHTTP proxy configuration.

If netsh winhttp show proxy from an Elevated Command Prompt shows Direct Access <no proxy server>, then type exit and press Enter at the Command Prompt to close it.
Otherwise type in  netsh winhttp reset proxy , then press Enter to remove the proxy, then type exit, press Enter to close the Command Prompt.

If a proxy server is not the issue ...

Is a 3rd party firewall being used ? If the answer is yes, then suggest you configure the system to Clean boot,  restart the system, and ensure that the native Windows 7 firewall is now On by opening Windows Firewall in Control Panel (click the View by: link and set it to Small icons to be able to access Windows Firewall ), then see if the updates install now -
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

Whether the updates install or not, undo the Clean boot configuration now and restart the system once again.

If the updates still fail to install please copy & paste the last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log into your reply -
How to read the Windowsupdate.log file

MowGreen Windows Expert IT Pro - Consumer Security
MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
Never Forgotten

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 20, 2020 Views 4,454 Applies to: