I haven't been able to install update for since June this year. The error message says :Windows cannot search for new updates. Error code 8024402c. I've followed suggestions in help section to fix the problem by selecting 'Automatically detect settings',
but the problem still persists. Please help.
This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
Windows Update Error Message Description:
The 0×8024402C error code typically occurs because an incorrect character exists in the proxy override settings.
Possible Cause/s for the issue:
1. Incorrect character exists in the proxy override settings.
2. A misconfigured Proxy/Firewall can cause this problem.
3. You are trying to access Windows Update using VPN. The website and Automatic Update may not function properly.
4. The corporate environment does not have autoproxy implemented.
5. Your workstations sit behind a Microsoft ISA server.
Here's the Resolutions for the issue.
Turn on the "Automatically detect ISA server" feature in ISA
If you are using Microsoft ISA Firewall Client, turn on the Automatically
detect ISA server feature. To do this, follow these steps:1. In Control
Panel, double-click Firewall Client, or right-click the ISA Firewall Client
icon in the notification area.
2. Click Configure.
3. Click to select the Automatically detect ISA server check box.
4. Click Update Now, and then click OK
Remove invalid characters from the proxy exception list and then clear the proxy cache:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. On the Tools, select Internet Options.
3. Click on the Connections tab.
4. Click on the LAN Settings.
5. Click on the Advanced button.
6. Please delete any entry in the Exceptions section.
Next, clear your proxy cache:
1. Click on Start, and then click Run.
2. Type cmd in the Open box to get a DOS prompt.
3. Type proxycfg -d at the command prompt, and press Enter.
4. Type net stop wuauserv at the command prompt, and press Enter.
5. Type net start wuauserv at the command prompt, and press Enter.
6. Now try the site again.
Reconfigure or update your firewall program:
1. Double-check the Proxy/Firewall settings. Add the following urls to the exception list within your Firewall/Proxy:
VPN and Proxy.
You are trying to access Windows Update using VPN. The website and Automatic Update may not function properly.
Autoproxy is not picking up the wpad.dat proxy configuration file to determine the proxy to be used for the target URL. Thus we are going with no proxy!
1. Try to access Windows Update while not using VPN connection.
2. Use the proxycfg tool to specify a proxy server to use (proxycfg.exe -p <proxy server>). (contact your network administrator to find out the name and port of this proxy.)