Windows Vista SP2 error during installation (0x80070026)

Hello,

I have Vista Ultimate 32bit on my Dell XPS M1530 laptop and I can’t seem to get Vista SP2 to install. When I start the installation after I agree to the EULA it says, “Preparing your installation,” then I get an error that the installation wasn’t successful. It says, “Reached the end of the file” and “Error: ERROR_HANDLE_EOF(0x80070026)”

I have tried to debug it myself and have ran CheckSUR as well as trying to install it in safe mode but to no avail. I didn’t install the SP2 beta so it can be a problem associated with that. Any assistance that you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 17, 2018 Views 23,235 Applies to:
Answer

Hi wmlove,

Thanks for frequently updating us about the status.

As the System File Checker and the Checksur tool had not been so helpful so far, the things I can suggest right now is:

1) To perform a “System Restore to a date where the computer was working fine.
Else
2) To perform an inplace upgrade of the OS.

NOTE: Inplace upgrade is not a clean install and no data will be lost after performing it. The sole purpose of running an Inplace upgrade is to rewrite any corrupt system files present on the computer (indicated in the result of the System file checker scan).

P.S.: I would recommend you to backup all your data, especially C:\My Documents on to a media (thumb drive/CD/DVD)

Following is the set of instructions for performing an Inplace upgrade:

1) Please unplug all the USB devices from the computer.

2) Start the computer by using the current operating system.

3) Disable/Uninstall any security software

4) Please Open “Program and features”, then click “Turn on/off Windows Features” (last option in the extreme left hand pane) and Uncheck

1. “Xps viewer” in “.net framework 3.0”

2. “Remote differential compression”

3. “Windows dfs replication services”

5)  Insert the Windows Vista DVD in the computer's DVD drive. 

6)  Use one of the following procedures, as appropriate:

• If Windows automatically detects the DVD, the Install now screen appears. Click “Install now.”              
             • If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps: Click Start, type cmd in the “start search” and right click on the cmd icon and chose the option “run as administrator”. Then type Drive :\setup.exe , and then click OK.

Note: Drive is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive. 

7) Click “Install now”. 

8)  When you reach the “Which type of installation do you want?” screen, click Upgrade to upgrade the current operating system to Windows Vista. 

9) Make sure that we select upgrade and not custom installation

IF THE UPGRADE OPTION IS UNAVAILABLE, AND YOU RECEIVE AN "Upgrade has been disabled" ERROR MESSAGE

This issue may occur if one of the following conditions is true:
              • The operating system that is currently installed on the computer is not supported in the upgrade path to Windows Vista. 

• You did not start the computer by using the current operating system. Instead, you started the computer from the Windows Vista DVD. To resolve this issue, start the computer by using the current operating system, and then run the Setup program from the current operating system. 

• The operating system is installed to a partition that uses the FAT32 file system. To resolve this issue, convert the file system on the partition to use the NTFS file system. For more information about how to resolve this issue, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to convert a FAT16 volume or a FAT32 volume to an NTFS file system in Windows XP:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

• The partition on which you want to upgrade to Windows Vista has insufficient free hard disk space. To resolve this issue, free additional space on the hard disk. For more information about how to use the Disk Cleanup tool to free hard disk space, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

10) We can check the Microsoft article to know the details about How to install Windows Vista - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884

11) FAQ’s on activation: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/activationfaq.mspx

Once you install Windows Vista, try to install the service pack 2 through the standalone package.
 You can obtain it through the following link.
  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

Let me know of the status.

Take care.

Regards,

Avash M

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Answer
Hi Wmlove,

Thanks you for appreciating our efforts to resolve the issue and also for keeping us updated about the status. It is indeed my pleasure working with you towards a resolution for this problem.

The Windows features page being blank clearly states that some OS files have gone corrupt. So don't worry about the blank Windows features page. You can skip that step and proceed with the next steps to complete the inplace upgrade. Then you can try to reinstall the SP2.

Let me know if the inplace upgrade and sp2 completes successfully.

Regards,
Avash M
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.