Windows Update missing settings...

Why is it that on my Windows 7 Pro installation, my update settings have these two options (highlighted), but my Starter installation is missing them?

Because I am lacking these options in the Starter installation, I am unable to update Office 2007. I am aware that Starter has certain limitations, but not being able to update Microsoft products is not supposed to be one of them. Any clues?

Question Info

Last updated March 15, 2019 Views 9,604 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

<QP>
Microsoft offers an extension to Windows Update called Microsoft Update. This service allows you to get updates for other Microsoft products, as well as receive notices of new Microsoft software that you can download and install for free. Here's how to get updates and notices about new software:

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. If you've never checked for updates before, in the left pane, click Check for updates. Wait for WindowsUpdate to finish checking for updates.

3. In the Windows Update dialog box, click Find out more under Get updates for other Microsoft products. Follow the steps on the screen to start using Microsoft Update.

4. In the left pane, click Change settings.

5. Under Microsoft Update, select the Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows check box.

6. To get notifications of new Microsoft software, select the Show me detailed notifications when new Microsoft software is available check box.

7. Click OK.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
</QP>
Source: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Change-how-Windows-installs-or-notifies-you-about-updates

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.