Windows Update Error 0x80072EFF (XP, SP3)with IE8 Problems - Malicious?

Need some help and haven't had any luck in the other posts on this issue... I'm pretty much convinced it's the result of malicious events, but I want to make sure before I wrap a heavy chain around it, attach one (1) cinder block, and throw it in Lake Washington (joking, I'll just leave it on Bill's swim float - really joking, I'll re-cycle it)

I receive error 0x80072EFF when attempting to run window update, and I think it's NOT a connection problem, certainly not hardware related, been happening for days. (My other computer has no issues with updates - swapped connection methods; firewalls on/off; wireless vs. LAN; etc... no change)

My System: 
DELL Inspirion E1505, Windows Medial Center 2002, Service Pack 3
Normal Security: Trend Micro (up to date, firewall, Anti-Virus)
(yes it's a dinosaur; budget window opens in a month)
Other Symptoms:
IE8 will fail on tab load and "recover" the tab; happens with almost every site
IE8 "hates" microsoft web sites (won't connect to them, can't find them, etc)
IE8 will not download specific key software items (windows update agent)

Fixes tried so far (without luck):
Re-install IE 8
System restore back to a couple of days prior to issues with IE8 tab failures
Running IE8 without add-ons
Multiple scans with Trend Micro (no findings)
Manual install microsoft security updates (MS10-022; MS10-002, MS09-072)
Manual install and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool
Turn off firewall/protection - still no access

The only minor success I've had is downloading and running "Malware Bytes", whic returned the following nasties:
Rogue.DriveCleaner (registry key)
Trojan.FraudPack (registry value)
Rogue.PrivacyCenter (registry value)
Rogue.Multiple (registry value)
Hijack.Shell (registry data)

Even with finding and quarantining the above, I still get exactly the same problems.  Subsequent re-scans with Malware Bytes, MS Mal removal, and trend micro find nothing. 

Occasionally, I can "fool" it by starting at the microsoft.com and working my way to windows update.  My favorite untenable workaround is to ignore the fatal errors ("encountered a problem and needs to shut down") and continue working... Until the fatal error "always on top" pop-ups get too thick and I can't see around them anymore.

Aside from the chain and cinderblock solution (and it's analogs) - Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Jim

Answer
Answer
...we'll see if McAfee can track down any further issues.

If the computer's already infected (and it is), the McAfee application won't install properly to begin with (and you probably wouldn't be able to update its Definitions anyway). Ditto for any other security application. See...

• Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected computer?
     http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/87058857-d181-4019-a723-efd9a49d9275

Even attempting to install the McAfee application is guaranteed to leave some "leftovers" mucking up the works. They can only be deleted by running theMcAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool & rebooting. So I'd strongly recommend that you abandon that idea right off the bat, Jim.

A "clean install" will resolve the problems though. If you'd like help with that (and save some $$ in the meantime by postponing your purchase of a new Win7 computer, as I am), just ask.

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) ~ MS MVP (IE, Mail, Security, Windows & Update Services) since 2002 ~ Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Microsoft MVP (Windows Client) since October 2002

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 15, 2019 Views 31,157 Applies to: