Windows update can't load.

Hi,

I am having some problems with my windows update.

Problem:
I opened control panel and then tried to enter windows update. However, after clicking the windows update icon, the explorer doesn't seem to load windows update. It only shows a blank screen with the top of the explorer telling me that it is windows update. The cursor shows the circular loading symbol. I waited for very long but it doesn't seem to load at all. Task Manager shows that it is still running perfectly fine and not in a state of "not responding". I didn't install or do anything to effect this problem. It seemed to arise suddenly. The problem occurs everytime i tried to enter windows update.

Solutions i tried
1) I tried running system restore. But it doesn't seem to load until i manually close the Windows update service in the task manager. It seemed to be preventing system restore from running. Once System restore starts, i tried to revert to a previous state where the problem doesn't occr but when the pc restarted, it said that the system restore failed.

2) I tried running microsoft fixit 50202 but it just stuck somewhere and showed the msg about BITS being not able to be shut down

3) I tried running Windows6.0-KB947821-v5-x86 which is the windows update readiness tool sep 09 but it seemed to get stuck too. I manually closed the windows update service while it is in a state of "stuck" and this resulted in an error msg from the windows update tool.

4) I reset my internet explorer but to no avail.

5) I have tried turning off my Zonealarm but to no avail.

6) A run of the sfc /scannow shows that all is alright.

I am using Windows Vista Service Pack 2, running on Core2Duo with 3gb ram. I kind of feel that the problem should be windows update but can't seem to find any way to 'reinstall' or repair it. Any ideas?

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks~

Question Info

Last updated August 21, 2018 Views 12,686 Applies to:
Answer
Hi oAkEn86,

Sound like your system got some bad corruption there. Let's try to start Windows Update in Safe Mode with Networking to see if it will run at all

How to boot your system into Safe Mode

•  
    1. Restart your computer if it is powered on.
    2. Tap the F8 key after your computer initially powers on.
    3. Once you see the Advanced Boot Options menu you can stop tapping.
    4. Use the up/down arrow keys to highlight your selection.
    5. Select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter.
    6. You should see drivers loading, and then Please wait.
    7. You should then be at the Welcome Screen.
    8. Logon to your computer using an account with Administrator privileges.

If it doesn't work, run a SFC scan to see if it can repair the damaged system files.  

Running the System File Checker

1.     Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2.     Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.

3.     In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:

sfc /scannow

4.     You should see the following on-screen messages:

Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification ph

ase of system scan.

Verification % complete.

5.     Once the scan has completed you will receive an onscreen message resembling one of the following:

…found no integrity violations

found corruption but repaired it

found corruption that it could not repair

6.     Please reply with the completion message that you received.

If it come back with a message that it can't repair your system then we should try a Startup Repair.  However this require you to have a Vista boot disk to complete.

STARTUP REPAIR 

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc. If you do not restart your computer from the disc, the option to repair your computer will not appear.

If you have a Windows Vista installation disc:

1.  Insert the installation disc.

2.  Restart your computer.

Click the Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

3.  If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc.

Note: If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer. You may need to change your computer's BIOS settings. For more information, see BIOS: frequently asked questions.

4.  Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

5.  Click Repair your computer.

6.  Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

7.  On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

If that won't help either, a Repair Installation might be your last choice.

You will need all your software media, Windows Vista disk and backup of your data to perform either one of the installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918884

HOW TO PERFORM AN INPLACE UPGRADE OR REPAIR INSTALLATION

If you have the Windows Vista DVD, you can attempt a Inplace Upgrade (Repair) on Vista - this will not work if all you have is a Windows Recovery DVD.

If you do not have the Windows Vista DVD and only have the Recovery Media, do you know someone who has the exact same Version of Vista as you that has the Vista DVD?  If so, borrow their DVD but do "not" use their Product key, use yours if asked for a product key.  If you do not have or cannot get a Vista DVD, the steps below will not work with the Recovery media and you may be forced to do a Clean install.

Repair Installation:

You may reinstall your copy of Vista while keeping your files, settings, and programs by performing a repair installation or an in-place upgrade with the following steps: (Note:  This does not always resolve all issues, especially if the corruption was caused by a 3rd party program or service, you might need to do a clean installation if this is unsuccessful.)

<><><><><><><><><><><><> 

Please make sure you Backup any and all important data before proceeding. Please see: Methods for backing up your files.

Always make sure you have the means to reinstall your programs, either through an install disk or having access to the installation files.

<><><><><><><><><><><><> 

1. Insert the Windows installation disc into your computer's DVD or CD drive. You must start Windows installation while running your existing version of Windows.

2. On the Install Windows page, click Install now.

3. On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation and to help protect your computer against security threats. You will need an Internet connection to get installation updates.

4. On the Type your product key for activation page, we strongly recommend that you type your 25-character product key to help avoid problems during activation.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms.

6. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Upgrade to begin the upgrade. You might see a compatibility report.

7. Follow the instructions.

Note: If your installation disk does not include SP1, and you are updated to it, then you will have to uninstall it before performing an upgrade install. Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> View installed updates, then select Service Pack for Microsoft Windows and click Uninstall.

Note: The following settings will be reset to default:

Computer Sound Scheme

Device Drivers

Visual Effects

Windows Mail

Windows Services

If you notice files missing after the upgrade look in the following folders:

C:\Windows.old

C:\$INPLACE.~TR

C:\$WINDOWS.~Q

These files can be cleared with disk cleanup as "Files discarded by Windows upgrade".

Delete files using Disk Cleanup

Sorry for the long reply but it might be a while till I can get back to your post, so give them a try and let us know

Kevin
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Kevin

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.