Windows 7 64 Bit Update Error Code 8E5E03FE

I've just purchased a new PC running Windows 7 64-bit and did my first run of Windows Updates fine, everything installed okay. Then more updates appeared and whatever I try they fail with "Error Code 8E5E03FE", the help on Windows itself is absolutely useless with this issue and I've tried almost EVERY solution I can find elsewhere on the internet for this issue and have got nowhere.

I have tried installing the updates with a clean boot and firewalls etc disabled which did not help at all. I've also tried downloading the files manually from Microsoft Download Center and each update still fails.

My system is BRAND NEW so I don't understand what is causing the errors and as four of the updates are security updates I would very much like them to install successfully.

Any help anyone could offer would be very much appreciated.

Once again the error code is 8E5E03FE and the numbers of the updates which fail are:

KB982526
KB972270
KB975560
KB979482
KB980218
KB979099
KB974431
KB980408
KB980846
KB981793

Many thanks in advance.

Answer
Answer
Try this -
  1. Click the Start orb, type cmd in the Search all programs and files field, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. Agree to the UAC prompt.
  2. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press ENTER after each one. Please include the spaces as the commands must be exactly as laid out. You can right-click after the Prompt and Paste these in, too :

net stop cryptsvc
    ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2\edb.log *.tst
    net start cryptsvc
    exit

See if the system can update now. If it still can not, please copy&paste the last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log into your reply -
How to read the Windowsupdate.log file

MowGreen Update Services - Consumer Security
MowGreen

*-343 FDNY -*
Never Forgotten

39 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 31, 2020 Views 26,421 Applies to: