Vista Ultimate 64-bit crashes after an update

My Vista Ultimate 64-bit simply cannot restart again after an update, i have to simply restore my laptop back to its factory setting which is a pain, message thai i get when system tries to restart after the update, not too sure which update it is, but simply states that 'windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might the cause. To fix the problem:
      (1) Insert your windows installation and restart your computer
      (2) Choose your language and then click next
      (3) Click 'Repair your Computer'

Also has File:\Boot\BCD

Info: An error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data

Please help with what the cause is and how i can fix this, has crashed 3 times now, can't insert installation disc as i was never given one, laptop was preinstalled with vista

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 729 Applies to:
Answer

Hi enois14,

As you have an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) laptop and you do not have an installation disk there is nothing much we can do in this situation.

The only thing I can suggest for now is to try booting into the Safe Mode and do a System Restore.

System Restore uses restore points to return your system files and settings to an earlier point in time, without affecting personal files. For more information on this you may access the link below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

If you do not want to do a System restore then you  may have to contact the laptop manufacturer to see if they  have a way to access the recovery partition with keyboard shortcuts during bootup.

The recovery options for pre-installed OEM systems are configured by the PC maker and can vary from system to system.

Hope this information was useful.

Regards

Varun J: MICROSOFT SUPPORT

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.