Vista SP1 hangs on installation??

I recently re-loaded Vista Premium on my HP dv9000 laptop due to a fault.  The machine has been running fine for 2 weeks but MS update has now wanted to install SP1.

I tried to load sp1 through MS Update, but it ended up hanging at the point on the black screen where all the files are shown loading across the screen.

I then did a restore and run System Update Readiness Tool as reccomended.

I then installed SP1 again direct (the 5 language version) but the same thing happened.. it stuck on the black screen.

The Startup Repair stated.... 'a patch is preventing the system from starting'.  Repair Action: System Files IntegrityCheck & Repair.  Result Failed Error Code 0xa.

I have restored the machine but do not know what I should do next to install SP1.  Can anybody please help?

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 2,841 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

Welcome to Windows Vista answers community.

These are some of the troubleshooting steps that you can try to resolve your issue.

Method 1:
I suggest you download and run the installer cleanup tool on your laptop.   Here a link to the tool.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
Remove if service pack is listed and then try to install it.

Method 2:
Download the standalone package and install it from safe mode.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B0C7136D-5EBB-413B-89C9-CB3D06D12674&displaylang=en

To boot your computer into safe mode refer the steps given below:      

1. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart your computer.

Click the Start button Picture of Start button, click the arrow next to the Lock button Picture of Lock button, and then click Restart.

2. Do one of the following:

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

If your computer has more than one operating system, use the arrow keys to highlight the operating system you want to start in safe mode, and then press F8.

3. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the safe mode option you want, and then press ENTER. For more information about options, see Advanced startup options (including safe mode).

4. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights.

Method 3:

Run SFC scan before and then try to install service pack 1.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2. Click Continue or supply Administrator credentials if prompted.

3. In the Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:

sfc /scannow 

4.You should see the following on-screen messages:

Beginning the system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification % complete.

5. Once the scan has completed you will receive an onscreen message resembling one of the following:

…found no integrity violations

…found corruption but repaired it 

…found corruption that it could not repair

6. Please reply with the completion message that you received.

Method 4:
How to troubleshoot Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation issues.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947366

Let us know if you need any assistance further

Regards,
Sreekanth
Microsoft Support
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.