I have tried to install Vista SP2 six times and each time I get "Service Pak did not install. Reverting changes" the error code is 80004005. I've tried everything and nothing seems to be working.....HELP
This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread.
Perform a clean boot and then try installing the updates.
To perform a clean boot, follow the below steps:
1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.
6. Check if you still have the issue.
Also try installing the standalone package of SP2 from safe mode and check. To boot in safe mode, restart the computer and start tapping F8 key. This will give you advanced boot options. In that select safe mode.
Savan – Microsoft Support.
Did this solve your problem?
Sorry this didn't help.
Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.
How satisfied are you with this reply?
Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.