Vista Service Pack 2 Error 80004005

I have tried to install Vista SP2 six times and each time I get "Service Pak did not install.  Reverting changes"  the error code is 80004005.  I've tried everything and nothing seems to be working.....HELP

Question Info

Last updated May 5, 2019 Views 8,466 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hello,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers Community Site!

Let us reset Windows Update components and try to install the updates.

To reset the Windows Update components automatically, click the Fix it button or link. Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and then follow the steps in the Fix it wizard.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Perform a clean boot and then try installing the updates.

To perform a clean boot, follow the below steps:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility.If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.
6. Check if you still have the issue.

Refer the link below for more details:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Also try installing the standalone package of SP2 from safe mode and check. To boot in safe mode, restart the computer and start tapping F8 key. This will give you advanced boot options. In that select safe mode.

Regards,

Savan  – Microsoft Support.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.