Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976902) is causing most of my X86 and some current applications for Windows 7 to stop functioning.

Original title: Updates

The latest update Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976902) is causing most of my X86 and some current applications for Win7  to stop functioning. This includes IE8, MS Office10 and a few others. Whats with THAT! I have updates blocked for now till the writers get it sorted out.

Question Info

Last updated April 9, 2019 Views 9,159 Applies to:
Answer

Hi,

The KB article mentions that this update cannot be uninstalled. This software update will be a prerequisite to install service packs. Additionally, this update improves reliability when you install or remove Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 updates and service packs.

http://support.microsoft.com/KB/976902

Since you have issues with Internet Explorer 8 and Microsoft Office 2010 after installing the update, I suspect the involvement of a third party software conflict. I'd have you put your machine in aclean boot state to eliminate third party software conflict.

Note: Follow step 7 to restart the computer as usual.

Azeez Nadeem - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

14 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.