Trying to Install Vista Service pack 2, get Windows Update Error 800B0100

I am running vista 32bit, and i am trying to install the 2nd service pack through windows update, i get this error 800B0100, the windows help and support program suggested i try using the the System Update Readiness Tool, this ran correctly and found no errors, here is the log file:
"
=================================
Checking System Update Readiness.
Binary Version 6.0.6002.22202
Package Version 6.0
2009-10-24 11:46

Checking Windows Servicing Packages

Checking Package Manifests and Catalogs

Checking Package Watchlist

Checking Component Watchlist

Checking Packages

Checking Component Store

Summary:
Seconds executed: 1076
 No errors detected
"
Personally i have no clue as to what is the problem,
Computer has been running a bit slow though, and sometimes programs stop working for a few seconds and then work again (office, Firefox, windows explorer (not Internet explorer)) Computer has not crashed though, anti-virus says its clean, everything is up to date except for the service pack

Specs:

Intel i7 920
Asus P6t Mob
Gigabyte 9500gt graphics card
Vista 32 bit

Avast anti-virus
Spy-bot Search and Destroy
Windows Defender (obviously)

note this is a repost, as it was in the wrong forum originally

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 5,135 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Welcome to Windows Vista Answers Forums.

This issue might be caused if there is any system file corruption. I would suggest you to run the System File Checker Tool to make sure that all the system files are intact.

Please follow the steps as below to run the System File Checker Tool:

1. Click Start and then type cmd in the Start Search box.

2. In the results area, right-click cmd.exe, and then click “Run as administrator”. You will be prompted to type the password for an administrator account. Click Continue if you are the administrator or type the administrator password. Then, click Continue.

3. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow , and then press ENTER.

( You also may run sfc /scannow from Task Manager >> New Task .)

Note: The scan may take some time, so be patient. Windows will repair any corrupted or missing files that it finds. If information from the installation CD is needed to repair the problem, you may be prompted to insert your Windows Vista CD.

For reference you may visit the following KB Article link:
"How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212

After running the System File Checker Tool, download Windows Vista SP2 from the following link:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en

Then boot into the Safe Mode and run the Windows Vista SP2 setup to install it on the computer. After the installation of SP2 boot into normal mode.

To restart the computer in “Safe Mode”, follow these steps:

1. Restart the computer and press and hold F8 key.

Note: You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

2. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the “Safe Mode” and then press ENTER.

Please let us know if this helps.

Thanks and Regards,
Santosh

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.