The following outlines how to stop services pertaining to Windows Update, rename system folders, register related DLL files, and then restart the previously mentioned services. This troubleshooting generally applies to all Windows Update related issues.
Stopping services pertaining to Windows Update
1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click
Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
2. If you receive a notification from User Account Control simply click
3. At the command prompt, type the following, commands and then press ENTER after each command.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
net stop cryptsvc
4. Please do not close the Command Prompt window.
Renaming folders pertaining to Windows Update
1. At the command prompt, type the following commands, and then press Enter after each command: