Cannot log into Windows 7 after Update

I have Windows 7 Home Premium installed on my Dell Inspiron desktop. The other day I installed a few important updates from Windows Update. I decided to restart the computer and it said shutting down so I got on my xbox while waiting for it to restart. After about 15 minutes maybe I noticed the screen was the same and the computer never restarted. The animated circle icon on the screen was no longer moving. I left it alone for awhile longer with no change. I restarted the computer and noticed it took much longer to boot up. I would finally get to the windows logo screen where the logo moves around. The logo suddenly freezes and stays that way. I booted it in safe mode and it said the latest updates were not successful and it was reverting the changes. I am still not able to log in. I can boot the system in safe mode but it doesn't recognize my mouse or keyboard to use. I can't even find my OS disk to use either. I'm very frustrated. I've had this computer for only a couple months. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Answer
Answer
You can most likely fix this problem by using System Restore. Here we go:
1. Keep tapping F8 during the early boot phase.
2. Select Repair from the menu.
3. Enter the Administrator's password when prompted. It is often blank.
4. Select System Restore when prompted.
5. Set Windows back to a point before this problem occurred.

If Steps 1 to 3 fail to work then you can do this instead:
1. Set your BIOS so that it uses the DVD drive as its primary boot device.
2. Boot the machine with your Windows 7 Repair CD or with your Windows 7 installation DVD.
3. Press a key when prompted to boot from the DVD.
4. Select System Restore when prompted.
5. Set Windows back to a point before this problem occurred.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 1, 2022 Views 10,049 Applies to: