Media Center Problem: Cannot load media library from my desktop on my XBOX 360 extender

Current home setup is wireless N network with Windows 7 desktop direct connected to router and wireless N adapters for my Windows 7 laptop and XBOX 360.  Had previous problem with corrupted file in my music library on desktop so deleted everything, created new library pointing to one folder and reloaded my music tracks.

Problem now is when I start Media Center on my XBOX 360 and go to music library and select my desktop under shared get the following message:  There are no items in this library yet - Windows Media Center is searching for media files in the background.  To add more music, you can go to  Tasks>Settings>Media Libraries.

Actually tried that with no joy.  Went back to desktop, uninstalled extender and reinstalled.  Again no joy.  Here is the interesting part.  When I navigate my XBOX 360 dashboard to Video Library in MY Xbox, the music shows up from my dektop, and I can play it.  Means to me that I do not have a firewall or permissions issue.  Also I can access music thru Media Center from my laptop.

HELP!

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 4,867 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
First ensure that the Xbox is off and then try the following, step by step in order:

1.    Change permissions:

Go to Start, Computer, right click on “Music Tracks1” then choose Properties.
Go to the Security tab and then click Edit.
Under Group or user names, check for an item named “Everyone”.

*  If “Everyone” does not exist: Click Add, type Everyone in the text box and press OK.

Select the “Everyone” item from the list and under the Permissions for Everyone section, ensure the following items have the Allow box checked:

*  Read & execute

*  List folder contents

*  Read

If one (or more) of them is NOT selected, check the Allow box for them.

2.    Setup Media Center Library:

Turn on the Xbox, connect the Xbox to the Media Center and follow the steps below on the Xbox:
Go to Tasks, Settings, Media Libraries.
Select Music
Select Remove folders from the library

In the list of items, check if “C:\Music Tracks1” is listed or not:

*  If the folder  IS in the list: UNCHECK it and then click Next, then Yes, select use these locations, then Finish.

*  If the folder  IS NOT in the list, click Cancel then Finish.

Select Media Libraries once more
Select Music
Select Add folders to the library
Select On this computer (includes mapped network drives)

In the list, locate the (C:) item and select the [+] box next to it to expand the selection.
Under the (C:) section, highlight the “Music Tracks1” folder then press A to check the box next to it.
Press Right to highlight the Next button and press A to continue.
Select Yes, use these locations and then Finish.

You should see the box come up indicating the library is being populated. Give this some time to finish, depending on how big the music library is, it may take some time.

3.    Important:

After the library is done populating, press the center Xbox button then press Y and confirm to go exit Media Center and go back to the Xbox dashboard.
After disconnecting from the Media Center, connect back to it and check if your Music library is populated or not.
Note: If you get a message saying you can’t connect to the Extender, wait a moment and try again.

If the above steps do not work, unfortunately you will need to backup your files to external media and reinstall Windows / use your recovery disks.

Install, reinstall, or uninstall Windows

David
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
-----
If you can't fix it with duct tape, you haven't used enough.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.