Does Windows Media Center have to be running to record programmes I have scheduled to be recorded?

Recording TV

Do I have to have Windows Media Center actually running to record programmes I have scheduled to be recorded - for example, a series?

Question Info

Last updated April 21, 2019 Views 11,080 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Close. 
Hibernation will also work - but, as with Sleep, it won't work if you don't have 'enable wake timers' set to Yes in your Power Plan.
I'd recommend Sleep, though (never Hibernate), as some hardware combinations have more issues with waking from Hibernation (wake from Sleep is, generally, more reliable for a Media Center.)
Off, though, is, well, off - a PC cannot wake itself from Off.

As Dominic said, though, MC doesn't need to be open (for that matter, you don't even need to have an account logged on) - TV recording is handled by a background system service.

As to tuners being in use:  if you're watching TV (or, rather, Live TV is running), you'll be presented with a pop-up message "would you like to change the channel, or cancel the recording?"  If nobody's there to hit either button, it'll just change the channel on its own (assuming that nobody's there), and execute the scheduled recording.

MS-MVP (Media Center) [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.