What can you tell me about PC TuneUp Maestro which has just found its way onto our computer. is it safe ?

Just turned computer on after a 2 week holiday. Installed latest Microsoft Updates. After computer had been restarted, this never seen before program/application called PC TuneUp Maestro appeared on screen, and performed some sort of scan of computer called Smart TuneUp.
Where did this come from? Is it safe?
Thanks
Answer
Answer

Hi AH,

I've no idea how PC TuneUP Maestro from Compuclever got on your system, but I recommend you not run or even open it at all and remove it ASAP.  Many articles consider it a scam.  At best, it's a registry cleaner which is, as all others, poison to your system.  I could not find a single valid review of the product that wasn't rated as dangerous by WOT http://www.mywot.com/.

It may be installed in parts (more than one name or item in the listing) which need to be separately uninstalled.  Though it would probably work with Programs and Features in Control Panel, I recommend using the free Revo: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html in advanced mode (but being careful that you ONLY remove related items and nothing else - if in doubt, make a note of it and leave it alone).

The sooner it is gone the better.  Probably you were tricked into downloading it with something else without your knowledge (if you didn't do so yourself).

Once done, update and run a full scan of your system with whatever AV program you use to make sure you aren't infected.  Then double-check to make sure it is completely gone.

If you've any doubts anything remains, post back and we'll do a more thorough search for any remnants using some other products to help us find and remove anything discovered.

Good luck!

Kosh

MVP(7/2012-6/2015),MCSE,MCSA,MCC2011,xCMM,xCAM,A+,Net+,Security Expert, xInfluencer. See Profile.

W10Prox64 Fast 16299rs3; Ofc Insider 1710/8613.1000; Edge,IE11,Chrome.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 30, 2021 Views 56,176 Applies to: