Backups failing during the night.

We are have problems with vss writers causing backup failures during the night. Approx 11pm on wards.

When we re run the backups during the day the backups complete. If we try to re run the backup just after the failure then the backup fails.

But when we re run them during the day after 8am they run and complete.

the server os is Win 2008 R2 Standard with Backup Exec

Another strange issue is that the above server backs up another server but that backup never or very rarely fails and not with the same failure as below.

BackupV-79-57344-65233 - Snapshot Technology: Initialization failure on: "\\server\System?State". Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology used: Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS).

Snapshot technology error (0xE000FED1): A failure occurred querying the Writer status.

Check the Windows Event Viewer for details.

Writer Name: Automated System Recovery, Writer ID: {BE000CBE-11FE-4426-9C58-531AA6355FC4}, Last error: The VSS Writer timed out (0x800423f2), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

Writer Name: COM+ Class Registration Database, Writer ID: {542DA469-D3E1-473C-9F4F-7847F01FC64F}, Last error: The VSS Writer timed out (0x800423f2), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

Writer Name: Internet Information Services, Writer ID: {2A40FD15-DFCA-4AA8-A654-1F8C654603F6}, Last error: The VSS Writer timed out (0x800423f2), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

Writer Name: Internet Information Services, Writer ID: {59B1F0CF-90EF-465F-9609-6CA8B2938366}, Last error: The VSS Writer timed out (0x800423f2), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

Writer Name: Registry, Writer ID: {AFBAB4A2-367D-4D15-A586-71DBB18F8485}, Last error: The VSS Writer timed out (0x800423f2), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

Writer Name: System Files, Writer ID: {E8132975-6F93-4464-A53E-1050253AE220}, Last error: The VSS Writer timed out (0x800423f2), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

Writer Name: Windows Management Instrumentation, Writer ID: {A6AD56C2-B509-4E6C-BB19-49D8F43532F0}, Last error: The VSS Writer timed out (0x800423f2), State: Failed during freeze operation (9).

Any ideas ?

Question Info

Last updated November 11, 2019 Views 2,612 Applies to:

Hi,

The issue you have posted would be better suited in Windows 2008 IT pro community.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsserver

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

What type of files are you backing up?  If it is Exchange or SQL make sure that there isnt any maintanance running during the backups or that there isnt another program competing for the use of the VSS writers.  Check the Windows Event Logs for errors that occur during the time that the backup that fails runs.

What version of Backup Exec are you using?  Make sure that it is fully updated with Live Updates and that afterwards the updated agents are pushed out.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

I cannot do much to the server with regards to rebooting it as it is need nearly 24x7.

I have updated Backup exec 2012 to what Symantec tech ppl reccomend but and have changed a few setting they have suggested. They come back with its the OS and I agree with them.

I have looked at the event logs and they are less than helpful.

Updating windows is someting I cannot do (see above).

This server backups another server B2 which never fails but is used in a similar way.

What other programs use the VSS writers?

No Exchange data (i think) but there is SQL but backup exec only reccomends to change for this (but cannot reboot often see above.)

The only thing i think is out of the nortmal is there is a info listing the event logs for volsnap at 7am.

I know this is related to the vss writers but how I do not know or what effect it would have.

As far as I have seen there are only info messages in the vent log around the time of the failure.

I cannot get even a weekly reboot setup to try changes.

I think you are right in saying that some process/service or etc may be compeating for the VSS writers.

My latop crashed today and I cannot log in to my normal profile so I cannot even log in tonight to do some investgating.

Hope this gives you some more to go on. Thx

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.