Windows 7 Game Explorer interfering with Game launching on systems lacking internet connections.

I've been without the net for about a week, and was agitated to notice that many of my games would not launch immediately,  at first i thought it was my display drivers but more digging and watching the activity of Rundll upon a game launch, (and the fact that games not registered in the game exporer worked fine).

This has brought to light some issues in Windows 7 in regards to Gaming.

As we all know, Vista introduced the Game Explorer (GameUX.dll) which incorporates update checking and game information.

What most  on't know, is that the instant a game is launched, Rundll.exe is spawned with the GameUX.dll,gameshim parametre and constantly polls the dns, network and domain functions in the OS.

The problem here, lies in the fact that if this process does not receive a response, the Game's process will sit frozen until a response is recieved.

Now the Rundll process actually acts as a mask for the games executable until the response from the servers is received, that said closing the rundll.exe prior to the handover being made will also close the Games executable.

You can work around this in a way by killing the actual game executable, which will keep the rundll open, and then opening the game executable again. However as it is polling the net api's (Wininet), Rundll will consume a full core (13% for my i7), until you close it. which can cause a number of issues in single core games, and the like.

I don't have anyway to directly contribute this, but its an issue in windows 7 which needs to be addressed,  im sure it didn't occur in windows Vista, and i've reproduced it on multiple windows 7 installations, including my mothers home premium laptop and my brothers windows 7 ultimate laptop, as well as my own gaming pc.  A lack of an internet connection SHOULD NOT, interfere with games that are registered with the Game Explorer.

It seems to have something to do with the Last Refresh timing, as modification of this value in the games information values (Registry) would modify the behavior, such as launching immediately as expected it should, or not launching at all with the rundll process consuming a full cores worth of cpu usage.

Edit

Just to note, after my net was restored, Rundll no longer chews through 13% of the cpu as it isn't constantly polling the network functions, (verified with processmon) and disappears within moments to launch the game.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2018 Views 10,627 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Recently I had a proxy-server-related problem in Steam, and found I had a blank server entry in inetcpl.cpl, but with a checkmark set to use it. OK, no problem.. remove the checkmark, and my Steam updates and Steam web browser stop showing error 103 instead of content. Good, right?

Well.. shortly thereafter I could not launch Day of Defeat:Source anymore! It would appear to launch, and the game would never come up.

Long story short.. THIS FIX OF YOURS SAVED MY SANITY! I went through Valve/Steampowered.com's recommended fixes and even got it to work ONCE after reinstalling.. (subsequent reinstalls did NOT fix it.)

gameux.dll - go to helll!!!

Graham

Windows 7 64-bit on AMD Phenom II  X1095

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If anyone don't like registry editing or dll file deletion, could probably try replace GameUXLegacyGDFs.dll with this (x86) empty one...

do let me know it is working...

Sorry this didn't help.

Here is a little script I wrote to automate getting rid of gameux.dll (in case Windows update makes it reappear in the future). Just copy to some .cmd file and execute with admin rights:
Do NOT change the "go to helll" part, this is important! :D 

if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == AMD64 (
set filename=%windir%\SysWOW64\gameux.dll
) else (
set filename=%windir%\System32\gameux.dll
)

TAKEOWN /F %filename%
ICACLS %filename% /grant %USERNAME%:F
ren %filename% "gameux.dll - go to helll!!!"
pause

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Just wanted to necropost to update the record on how much of a failure this is
==OVER A YEAR LATER AND ITS STILL BROKEN==
best part is, with updates it re-enables itself every so often
absolutely glorious

actually it's even worse than that now, it's been updated so that none of the above solutions work anymore
if you unregister the dll as per qwadrwr then rundll32.exe will get stuck in limbo trying to load, same if you deny read permissions to the files (albeit it doesn't consume 100% of the core it's running on, it just sits there)... only solution is for those that need it:

run one instance of the software, it will get stuck
run a second instance of the software, gameux is busy doing it's thing so this will launch
taskkill rundll32 responsible for the first instance
enjoy

Sorry this didn't help.

This is bloody fantastic,

NOW the bloody game browser does not respect its own settings.

You tell it not to get info and cover art, and it goes and gets them anyway.

FIX THIS MICROSOFT.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Talking to myself...

FWIW, I think I got a better solution than deleting the dll files, pulled from another forum and it seems to work fine at first glance, cmd-shell in administrator mode is required:

regsvr32 -u c:\windows\system32\gameux.dll  

and for 64-bit additionally 

regsvr32 -u c:\windows\SysWOW64\gameux.dll

Of course game explorer is not working any further after unregistering the corresponding dll. Good thing is, if you ever feel to punish yourself again, you can restore the original settings:

regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\gameux.dll

and for 64-bit additionally 

regsvr32 c:\windows\SysWOW64\gameux.dll

Hope this helps some searching souls.

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

this truly is the worst library ever written, ever... can someone, ANYONE from MS fix this?
does anyone from MS even read this forum?
Seconded. Had to stay in a hotel without working wifi and searched on my phone for a solution, nothing. This behaviour is unacceptable, who is designing software like that? I disabled every option to lookup cover art and ratings in game explorer and still this bugger  is completely eating up one core running in an endless loop. If there is no connection this thing really should stop after 10 retries or so.

The original report of this problem is over a year old and nobody bothered. :-(

Sorry this didn't help.

___, looks like this fail library of failure is starting to be used by developers. I doubt it provides anything useful but probably is required/recommended to be included in a way or another by MS.
Well at this moment there is only these solutions:

if using newer software allow internet access to these processes
delete the files if using with older software

or you can waste one core for the process and kill the executable process in taskman then relaunch... terrible

this truly is the worst library ever written, ever... can someone, ANYONE from MS fix this?
does anyone from MS even read this forum?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've encountered one problem since deleting the dlls:

When I go to launch BioShock:

http://i.imgur.com/dczdg.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/HMjmP.jpg

Sorry this didn't help.

Both files with GameUX in the name; GameUX.dll and i think i'ts 64bit cousin (I'm running windows7 64bit) and voila everything worked fine without any errors until one day... when windows update apparently restored the damnable files.
Now I just denied any read/execute permissions to the files and even though i get an error on application launch, everything works fine again.

Microsoft, please REMOVE THIS GARBAGE from the OS. It's worthless and doesn't work well.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.