Rise of Nations Update Error

When I try to install the update for Rise of Nations called 02.04.04.2903 it will not install correctly. The game thinks it installed correctly but when I try to join games online, it says I have version 00.00.00.0000 and that I need 02.04.04.2903. At the main menu of the game when I click search for updates it also says there are no updates available because the game thought it installed correctly the first time. I looked on the Rise of Nations website and tried everything they had and none of that worked. Has someone else had this problem and can help? Are any Microsoft people out there that can solve this problem?

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2019 Views 4,884 Applies to:

Hi,

There might be a corrupt update on the computer, which is the cause. To eliminate this issue, I would think of uninstalling all the updates installed for Rise of Nations. Then installing all the updates one by one i.e., older updates needs to be installed first manually. Ex: Install Update 1 first, and then go for Update 2.

To download the update click here

Get back to us with the results so that we can troubleshoot accordingly.

Regards,
Chethan Kumar.

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer. Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.
Microsoft-Forum Moderator

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

I have tried this, and it failed to solve the problem. I suppose some vital information I should add is that I once borrowed Rise of Nations Gold from a friend before and played it on my computer. I even installed the update for it and everything worked out just fine. When I bought my own Rise of Nations, (not gold version) I uninstalled the game my friend let me borrow. I then installed my own game and so far everything was good. At the menu of the game when I hit multiplayer, they told me I had to install this update. I thought everything would work out nice and fine until the update stopped at about 83% and then said "error". Could this problem be connected to having Rise of Nations Gold installed before and having that game updated?

Thanks,
Speedman100

Sorry this didn't help.

I played RoN a few years ago and i could play online, but recently i got a new cpu and redownloaded the game.  Unfortunately like speedman the patch will not download properly and stops at 83%.   The RoN website tells me to do the whole cmd thing to redo the patch... everytime i get the same error at 83% and i cannot play with others because i have version 00.00.00.0000.

Oh and im on Vista idk if that would help

Update:  I tried the cmd process again but now the game does not attempt to patch again - check for updates just gives me no updates available.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well i uninstalled the game hoping that it would work the 20th or so time... but it didnt.  I tried everything i could but nothing worked - i was demoralized and frustrated.  I went to add/remove programs and clicked uninstall when it gave me the option to reinstall or uninstall (i always hit uninstall because thats what i was told to do) so i click reinstall checked for updates and the patch worked!  Give it a try if you are still having this error or anyone else having this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

fishstickfoundation.com

So download the zip file, extract zip file;
 inside you will find a folder called "rise of nations". Copy-paste that folder over your original installation folder when the game is not running. Default "C:\program files\microsoft games\rise of nations\".
It will ask you to replace some files, click yes.

Then start the game. The game will now have the correct version 02.04.04.2903 instead of 00.00.00.0000

Should work. Havent heared it didnt work, as long as you know how to copy paste a folder.

Sorry this didn't help.

this link you posted is not working 

Sorry this didn't help.

I found I could get this working by copying a missing current_version.xml file (or creating it).

Create a file:

Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\data\current_version.xml

Edit the file with the following text.

<ROOT>
  <VERSION current_version="02.04.04.2903"/>
</ROOT>

Sorry this didn't help.