my cd-rom games that i have had since 3.1 has always worked,even with compatibility mode starting with ME,or maybe it was XP,but anyway,these games required 256 colors on a couple of parts involving text or else they'd look gritty.

when i select 256 colors my PC freezes. Any ideas? i can't run XP mode as my PC does not support virtualization. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. I'd post a picture but this board doesn;t seem to support things like that. Anyway...please respond as quick as possible.
Answer
Answer

Hi bamahusker,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

a.     Please be specific as to which are the games that you are trying to run on the Operating System?

Also check whether the game is Compatible with the Windows 7 Operating System by visiting the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx

In the meanwhile you can follow these methods:

Method 1:Confirm that the video driver doesn't conflict with the game requirements.

Change the color-depth and resolution of the video card to determine whether the video driver conflicts with the game.
1. Choose Start > Control Panel, double-click Display, and then click the Settings tab.
2. Change the color-depth using the Colors menu:
- If the current color-depth is 256 Colors, choose True Color (which may be designated as 24-bit color; 16,777,216 colors; or millions of colors).
- If the current color-depth is not 256 Colors, choose 256 Colors.
3. Click Apply and then click OK.
4. Restart Windows and the game. If changing the color-depth and resolution of the video card fixes the problem, contact the video card manufacturer for an updated driver.

Method 2 : Change the size of the virtual memory paging file.
Virtual memory allows the system to use hard disk space to store information normally stored in memory (RAM). Windows manages virtual memory using a paging file; you define the minimum and maximum size of this file. If the maximum size is not twice the amount of installed RAM, applications may return errors.

To create a paging file with a maximum size of twice the amount of installed RAM:

Note: You must be logged on as an Administrator to change the size of the paging file.

1. Exit from all applications.
2. Choose > Start > Control Panel and double-click System.
3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Performance Options.
4. Click Change in the Virtual Memory section.
5. From the Drive list, select a hard drive that has at least twice the amount of the computer's installed RAM. For example, if your computer has 64 MB of RAM, select a hard drive that has at least 128 MB of free space.

Method 3 :
To check for device driver problems:
1. Choose Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click System, and then click the Hardware tab.
2. Click Device Manger in the Device Manager section.
3. Click the plus sign to the left of each device type.
4. If a device appears with a black exclamation mark in a yellow circle, double-click that device.
5. Check the properties for that device:
- Check the Device Status field: If the device isn't working properly, information in this field can help you troubleshoot the problem.
- Check the Properties dialog box: If a Driver tab appears, click it. If the Driver tab does not indicate the driver provider, click Driver File Details. If Microsoft is the provider, you probably have a generic driver and should obtain the most recent driver provided by the device manufacturer.

Let me know if this helped.

Regards,

Divya R – Microsoft Support.

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 25, 2018 Views 690 Applies to: