Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library: Buffer Overrun

Hi, recently I experienced problems with Call Of Duty 1 while running it. Every time I double click CoDSP.exe this error message comes up:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Buffer overrun detected!
Program: ...gram Files\Activision\Call Of Duty 1\CoDSP.exe
A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated."

I played it years ago while I had another computer and Windows XP Proffesional(SP 2).
I tried using avast! Internet Security to check for viruses and CCleaner to check for registry errors... nothing worked. So please if there is a fix help me.

Specs: OS: MS Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit
CPU:Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00 GHz
RAM:4.0GB Dual-Chanel DDR2 @ 399 MHz(5-5-5-18)
Motherboard:ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5Q (LGA 775)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4800 Series
HDD: 625GB Western Digital

|
Answer
Answer

Hi Cobran,

The error code that you are encountering might be because of corrupt installation of Microsoft Visual C++. To resolve the issue you may follow the below mentioned steps:

Step 1:

Download and install Microsoft visual C++ from the below mentioned link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a7b7a05e-6de6-4d3a-a423-37bf0912db84&displaylang=en

Step 2:

Try running the application in Clean Boot.

You may perform Clean boot and try to disable startup programs and services that run when computer starts. After disabling all startup programs and services using clean boot, check if the issue persists.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135  

Also, after resolving the issue, see the section on how to return your computer to a Normal startup mode by following the steps under “Reset the computer to start as usual".

Hope this information is helpful.

Praseetha K
Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

39 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

The problem is due to a known bug in the ATI drivers - there are several threads on it on the AMD site. The thread I read was closed by a moderator with the statement "It will be fixed soon". I'm running the 10.11 drivers on a 4870 and I have the problem too.

There are 10.12 drivers available but that thread seemed to indicate the problem was still present in those.The message from the moderator was posted on 12/19/2010 so hopefully the next driver release will fix it.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=227&threadid=134238&STARTPAGE=3&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 15, 2022 Views 47,889 Applies to: