Internet Spades scoring system has changed for the worse

This is not a request for support with a problem.  It is a complaint.  The scoring system used for Internet Spades is different in Windows 7 than it was for Windows XP.

In Windows XP, if one opponent bid nil and the other opponent bid to take X tricks, if neither opponent made their bid then they would be scored -(X * 10) - 100, regardless of whether or not the number of tricks both opponents took equaled X.  The tricks taken by the opponent bidding nil would be counted as bags, but would not benefit the team by being counted toward the total number of tricks taken.  This was the correct practice.  The team should not benefit from tricks that it specifically said it would not take.

However, in Windows 7, the tricks taken by the partner who bid nil are counted toward the bid made by the other partner.  The only way to set both opponents is to make sure that the total number of tricks taken by both opponents is less than X.  The opponent who bid nil gets to count his or her tricks even though he or she said that no tricks would be taken.

Personally, I consider that to be a bug in the scoring system.

Question Info

Last updated July 23, 2018 Views 842 Applies to:

Hi David Dickinson,

Thank you very much for your feedback. You can also report this or provide your feedback at the Microsoft Connect Center.

Your Dashboard | Microsoft Connect

Regards,
Syed N – Microsoft Support
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

That seems to be untrue.  I could find no category or other place at Windows Connect at which I could describe this bug or offer a suggestion regarding Windows 7 Internet Spades.  Besides, while there are 63 products accepting bug reports and 52 products accepting suggestions, the list of products that are accepting neither is even larger, and Microsoft Connect appears to be an unreliable location for connecting with Microsoft.

That's why I wrote my feedback here.  I figured that someone at Microsoft would see it and take responsibility for seeing that this bug got passed to the right place.

Someone from Microsoft has seen it.  I am simply left to wonder what will happen next.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have been playing and did not realize that this is the reason it was never calculating the score correctly.

Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

That's ONE bad thing about the new Spades game, there are many others.
The "Computer" player:
When my partner is the computer player I have watched many times as the game is thrown to provide some kind of "pity" to the team that is losing. I have watched my computer partner CUT my tricks (already established that the trick was mine) and we get set. I have also witnessed my partner blow my nil by playing his high spades on tricks that were irrelevant. If you want to design a game that cheats awfully to give everybody a chance to have a "come from behind" victory, then you never need to ask why the game has gone to hell in a hand-basket.

Make the nudge option appear after 20 seconds and once "nudged" players should only have 15 seconds to respond. Many players use the tactic of not playing during their turn to show their disapproval of the game they are losing.

Inform us if their are any "cheat codes" in operation. It is no fun to be beating your opponent by 220 points only to see them get a flawless "double nil" or regular nil paired with an "8" hand, two hands in a row, sometimes three. I can almost bank on getting such terrible hands when my team is up that it is worth it to bid blind nil in those circumstances!!!

Sorry this didn't help.