I can't reinstall a game after I had some issues uninstalling it.

I recently uninstalled a game (using the uninstaller) and as far as l could tell the uninstallation went well, all of the files were deleted etc. However, coming to install the game again l've found my PC still thinks that the game is installed (it still appears under Programs and Features.) I can't select install on the CD's autorun, l have also tried manually looking at the CD's files and selecting "setup" but this just runs an uninstallation program that makes no difference. Selecting to remove the program from the Programs and Features also makes no difference. I have tried everything listed on the windows help website and couldn't find something that worked and the developer has no information on this subject.  Basically is there a way to tell my PC that l have already unistalled the game? Or anything left that might be telling my PC otherwise?

I'm using Vista Home Premium and the game is Baldur's Gate 2

Cheers!

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2019 Views 3,031 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Probably going to have to delve into the Registry Editor, find entries for Baldur's Gate and remove them. I won't tell you how, because, well it's dangerous.

You might try a program called ccleaner.

http://www.ccleaner.com
it should detect that there are entries for BG2 on your system, even though the game is gone and remove those erroneous entries.

Just watch yourself, I usually advise against modifying your registry.

Oh, before you do all these, run System Restore and click on the link to "open System Protection", then create a restore point in case you mess something up.

GL!

-A.

Another community answer from the Windows Vista newsgroups

Shane

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.