Question

Q: freeCell bugs

I'm having trouble with Microsoft's FreeCell game.  It seems I can only move stacks of cards sometimes.  Other times the game wont allow it even though all the cards are in sequential order.  Anyone else experience this.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Thank you for posting the query in Microsoft Community.

From the issue description, I understand that you are unable to play Free Cell game. Let me know if I am wrong.

1) Do you receive any error message when trying to play Free Cell game?

2) Have you made any changes on the computer prior to this issue?

3) What is the Operating System installed on your computer?

Method 1: I would suggest you to follow the steps from the link and check the status of the issue.

Fixing game performance problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Fixing-game-performance-problems

Method 2: I would also suggest you to try Uninstalling and Reinstalling the Free Cell game and check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstalling the Free Cell game:

1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
3. Browse to the Games Features and uncheck the mark in front of Free Cell.
4. Restart the computer.

Step 2: Reinstalling the Free Cell game:

1. Go to Start and in the search type "Turn Windows features On or Off".
2. Click on "Turn Windows features On or Off".
3. Browse to the Games Features and check the mark in front of Free Cell.
4. Restart the computer.

For reference:

Where are my games?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Where-are-my-games

I hope it helps. If you have any issues in future please let us know. We will be happy to help you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

4 people were helped by this reply

I'm having trouble with Microsoft's FreeCell game.  It seems I can only move stacks of cards sometimes.  Other times the game wont allow it even though all the cards are in sequential order.  Anyone else experience this.

I am having the same issue. I have Windows 8 and I am trying to play FreeCell in the Microsoft Solitaire collection. I am on the Daily Challenges and when I try to move stacks that should be able to move, for instance, moving a stack with a 6 of diamonds, 5 of clubs, 4 of hearts, and 3 of clubs, onto a 7 of spades, it will not move. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app from the Windows Store and I am still having the same issue. This does seem to be a bug in the game.

Sorry this didn't help.

320 people were helped by this reply

Exactly the problem I'm facing too. I often cannot move a stack of cards to a spot where it should be possible to land.

Sorry this didn't help.

5 people were helped by this reply

Not only am I having this problem most of the time on Freecell (for example, the October 1 & 3 challenges), it's also popped up on Spider Solitaire a couple times. My edition is up-to-date (& I confirmed it by uninstalling & reinstalling it 2 days ago), I have DirectX 11 (current), and Windows Update says I'm not missing any drivers or updates. Translation: both method 1 & method 2 failed, & I agree that it's probably a bug on Microsoft's end.

Sorry this didn't help.

To clear things up FreeCell allows you to only move 1 card at a time
Only reason you are able to move stacks is if you have empty spaces in backup or whole empty stacks
If you have 4 empty backup slots and try to move a stack of 5 game puts 4 cards to backup slots then moves the top card to destination then takes the cards in backup back below top card

Sorry this didn't help.

37 people were helped by this reply

Blue Microwave, I'm not sure we're on the same page. As I understand it, in Freecell part of the strategy is to make tableaux of cards in alternating colors. As long as cards are in complete or partial tableaux, every game of Freecell I've ever played lets me move the tableau as if it were a single card. Microsoft Solitaire Collection seems designed to let me move tableaux; it recognizes these stacks as acceptable to move, but sometimes it has trouble actually moving the tableau. I can pick up the tableau, but sometimes (and only sometimes), if the tableau has more than 2 cards in it, the game does not like to move the tableau at all (e.g. I can't move a tableau who's highest card is a 6 of diamonds onto either black 7 or either of two empty spaces available. Sometimes I can get around this by moving half of the tableau onto another card, an empty space, or into the backup & then moving the other half of the tableau, but this prevents me from completing some difficult games or challenges with limited moves like the October 3 challenge.

Sorry this didn't help.

3 people were helped by this reply

Blue Microwave was right. The problem lies in the 'help' that freecell offers when there are enough empty cells to make a manual stack movement 1 card at the time. In those cases you are allowed to move complete stacks. For a decent explanation look at http://www.solitairecity.com/Help/FreeCell.shtml.

Freecell could have given me a bit more insight in this. For example by animating the card movements for me when moving a stack.

Sorry this didn't help.

10 people were helped by this reply

I've tried the suggestion of Blue Microwave and ftamminga.  It might answer some of the problems some of the time but not always. The game is broken.

Sorry this didn't help.

2 people were helped by this reply

Thank you for this forum. Increasingly, FreeCell will not allow me to move single or stacks of cards even to create correct alternating suit sequence columns.  The only remedy I have found it to move the card to and upper storage space first then move the card to the desired location at the end of a column. The bug is getting worse not better. It first infected the leftmost column.  Now it infects the leftmost and the right most.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software several times.

Sorry this didn't help.

It happens all of the time during one game. In one instance it will allow me to do it and then a few seconds later it will not!!!  It is making me crazy!!  HELP

Sorry this didn't help.

13 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 11,145 Last updated: June 13, 2018 Applies to: