Fatal DirectX error - Code: 15

I received this message after installing Steam's Just Cause 2.

Fatal DirectX error - Code: 15 - The Game will now exit. Try starting with The Game /failsafe if the problem persists.

The message comes up when I attempt to play the screen flashes black and white then the error comes up. What is failsafe anyway?

I meet all requirements of the game. And I already installed the runtime directx 9 thing suggested.

Windows 7 (new laptop with it already installed and all drivers have been updated)

x64

Directx 11

Thanks for any help!

Answer
Answer

Hi,

You might be able to get the game working by using the Program Compatibility Wizard (in Help and Support) to identify and, possibly, fix any problems; if using the wizard doesn't work, you could try adjusting the program compatibility options manually (the program compatibility options should be in the Compatibility tab of the program Properties dialog). It might worth trying to run the program in safe mode, in particular; however, if this does solve your problem, it might result in a loss of quality from the game (eg screen resolution, sound etc).

I hope this works, and good luck.

If this doesn't work and / or isn't useful, just reply to this, and I'll see if I can get back on the issue to offer more useful advice.

Spartan-837

Turns out that Master Chief might not be the last Spartan after all!

30 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi,

Program Compatibilty Wizard should work for any executable file (file extension: .exe).

Having not used Steam before to get games, I'm not sure about the process involved. However, if the game is saved as any other game, then Program Compatibility Wizard should work normally for the program.

To open the Program Compatibility Wizard (on Windows XP (the path should be similar, if not easier on Windows Vista and Windows 7)), click on the Start menu, Help and Support, Music, video, games, and photos, Games, Fixing a games problem, Getting older programs to run on Windows XP. In this article, there should be a link that should open the Program Compatibility Wizard.

Alternatively, you can adjust Compatibilty options manually by opening the individual program Properties dialog (you can do this by right-clicking on the program icon, clicking on Properties and then on the Compatibility tab). (My post on September 18, 2011 describes some of the options you can adjust in the Compatibility tab.)

I hope this helps, and good luck.

If this doesn't work and / or isn't useful, just reply to this, and I'll see if I can get back on the issue to offer more useful advice.

Spartan-837

Turns out that Master Chief might not be the last Spartan after all!

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2020 Views 79,189 Applies to: