DirectX problems running Win7 over Bootcamp on Macbook Pro

Hi everyone.

So I installed Win7 64-bit on my Macbook Pro (Intel Dup 2.66 GHz, NVidia GT 9400M, 4gb DDR3) using bootcamp wanting to play games. I kinda want to go pick up Starcraft 2 but I don't want to buy a mac version of a game especially since I might be getting a PC desktop within the next year sometime.

Anyways, so when I launch games, usually they just won't launch without saying anything or it will give me some message about Direct3D. So, when i go in the DirectX diagnostic tool, it lists DirectDraw, Direct3D, and TGP texture acceleration as 'Not Available'. I checked and made sure that the hardware acceleration was at the fullest level, which it was.

Next, I went online to see what others were doing, and I found in a few places where people were installing DirectX 9.0 alongside DirectX 11 that comes with Win7. I tried to install it and I get the following error message:

"Internal system error. Please refer to DXerror.log and DirectX.log in your Windows folder."

From there I just wanted to post a few places and see if anyone else has ran into these issues running Win7 on a mac or anything like that. I know these laptops are supposed to run games over bootcamp pretty well, but i can't seem to get over this issue. Just looking for a next step.

Thanks for reading.

Question Info

Last updated January 29, 2019 Views 8,784 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Windows 7 comes with DirectX11 installed. DirectX11 is not backwards compatible for older games requiring DX9. You'll need to download and install the DirectX9 update package in order to play your games.

You can download the updates from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en

Please reply back if this doesn't resolve the issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

I'd check to make sure you've got your video drivers properly installed too.

On the StarCraft 2 note, there isn't seperate versions.  Like most multi-platform games nowadays they ship with the Windows and Macintosh binaries on the same disc.

Paul Smith - MVP for Windows Desktop Experience... I've crawled off NNTP - for now. Posting from Aldershot, UK. On the internet atwindowsresource.net anddasmirnov.net. Please post back letting us know what works and what doesn't. :) And if an answer is helpful mark it as such. :)
Paul Smith
http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.