Chess Titans makes illegal moves

In a game I was playing on level 6, the computer castled on the queen side when one of my bishops was threatening a square, QN8, through which it castled.

Are there other kinds of illegal moves can it make?

Please advise when you can confirm that Chess Titans knows how to play legal chess.

Question Info

Last updated September 23, 2018 Views 3,487 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

At level 6, Chess Titans simply castled the king out of check and repeats it after each undo.

I've also had the darned program castle the king across squares controlled by my queen or rook.

Titans does not know or follow the castling rule.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok a lot of people maybe don't know the rules but there are several cheat moves made and not just on Chess Titans all the Microsoft games suffer from it.

As for chess Titans,

computer bishop checks my king

I move my bishop to stop

computer moves a pawn forward

I CAN CASTLE?????

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought if my king had been checked I could not castle.

I have my king and queen with a pawn one step from promotion and the computer now only has its' king, my king and queen are at opposite ends of the board. The computer king is at the space my queen bishop would start. The computer just took my rook and I will next promote my pawn to queen the game calls a draw? I undo and don't promote and instead move my king it still calls a draw, I undo and move my queen down to my king it still calls a draw despite my king blocking the computer king from my queen giving the computer king ample space to move.

Another constant issue is I can repeat the same move over and over and it still does not call a draw?

I always got told that if the same move got repeated 3 times a draw would be called, is that wrong?

I will now just remove all the pre-installed Microsoft games and never play them again.

3 years later and see people bringing up the same bugs and see the same response and I do mean bugs not ignorance of the rules, before anyone asks I have played tournament level.

Sorry this didn't help.

Chess Titans made an illegal move against my 8-year-old son who still managed to win against the computer.

When we moved a pawn forward two spaces, the computer treated it as one space and overtook it. We tried undo to see if it was an error, and the computer did it again.

Simply fascinating.

If a pawn moves 2 squares forward so that it is then alongside an opposing pawn, the opposing pawn can be captured en passant (=in passing). The position after is that same as if the pawn had only moved 1 square and been taken. If this is what you saw, it was not a bug in Chess Titans, but standard chess rules being applied.

Sorry this didn't help.

Chess Titans made an illegal move against my 8-year-old son who still managed to win against the computer.

When we moved a pawn forward two spaces, the computer treated it as one space and overtook it. We tried undo to see if it was an error, and the computer did it again.

Simply fascinating.

Sorry this didn't help.

This game appears to make a lot of illegal moves that frustrate the players, which are only explained by the coding team as legal moves we were unaware of...

hm...

If playing as a beginner (yes, i did play as a beginner) then the game should be set to beginner state, not cheating by playing hardcore chess moves that only 2% of the country have heard of...

Some serious thought needs to go into common sense coding for computer games.

Sorry this didn't help.

From my chess knowledge, people's posts here and double checking, we can summarise this thread as:

1. When castling the rook may pass through a suare that is threatened, but the king may not.

2. If a pawn moves 2 squares forward so that it is then alongside an opposing pawn, the opposing pawn can be captured en passant (=in passing). The position after is that same as if the pawn had only moved 1 square and been taken.

Based on that, it would apppear Chess Titans hasn't had any bugs identified here yet.

Are there any other possible Chess Titans bugs people would like to sort out here?

All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the same exact thing happen!

Sorry this didn't help.

Also one cool thing with the Mac chess version is that you can have it speak the moves and you can hear it'll tell you when it is castling or any other moves you aren't familiar with.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds to me like another 'en passant' manoeuvre?

If not, there is no other (legal) explanation...

Rule for Chess En Passant

In Chess En Passant is simply, when you make a capture after a pawn is moved two squares forward from its starting position. The opposing pawn can capture it the same way, as if it had only movedone square forward. After it is captured, the chess position is the same as if the pawn had only moved one square forward.

This chess rule applies only, if the pawn has not moved before during the game and is still sitting on its original square.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had the game do the same thing to me.  Move a pawn 2 spaces and have the computer take my pawn as if I had moved it just one space.  The opposing pawns were actually side by side.

Sorry this didn't help.